Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our third game I suggested One False Step for Mankind (deemed too long for the time of day), Taj Mahal (almost happened) and then Ra. I was actually thinking of Amun Re, but the rules were simple (again) and Jake had played before (but never done well at it).

Jake explained the rules and we got started quickly. The box contained some handy player mats with all the scoring information on them and places for all of the tiles that we could collect. Trying to match monuments and civilization skills with names was a pain (and pointless). Nonetheless, the aid was quite handy. The JPG on BGG would be even better because it has correct artwork and more rule tidbits.

What to do when only one player had sun tiles left caused a bit of confusion, but we played correctly.

The first epoch saw quite low scores. After the second epoch I believe that the scores were 8 (me), 3ish (Alan) and -1 (Jake). At the end I had 42 points, particularly helped by a 4 of a kind and a 3 of a kind in monuments. I had done well in everything but sun tiles (-5 for lowest) and my attempt at monopolozing civilizations had almost worked (it also kept me from being reduced to zero civilizations, so I was happy). Alan had considerably fewer points but his monuments also help. Jake's score was really low, causing him to vow to play it online so as to improve his technique.

During play I called auctions much more frequently than my opponents. Either I saw some good stuff for me (monuments) that I need to get cheap or I was trying to make my opponents take things they needed before the auction track was full with goodies. This served me well when I had small sun tiles and let me be the last player with sun tiles in the first two epochs. In the second epoch I had two sun tiles left and raked in a huge number of tiles. This was the source of many of my points, although lack of flood tiles in the second epoch due to a drought kept me from scoring as much as I might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.