Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a mechanism I like when we'll executed, so what are some games that use it really effectively?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorites are simplified tech trees, resulting in a more elegant result:

Kemet - The pyramids are a really cool design choice to give you that sense of climbing technology possibilities. I love the asymmetrical nature of choosing the different paths.

The Golden Ages - A bit more abstracted, yes. But it still does the job in a really great way. There's plenty of game here to discover and work out. This is the holy grail of quick-playing civ/4X games.

Clash of Cultures - Many people hail this as having the most developed, and elegant tech tree among all the civ builders. I'll admit it's really good, but the rest of the game didn't grab me as much.

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization - Uh, huh...make way for the king.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
For something on the lighter end, Kingsburg or Kingsport Festival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clash of Cultures' is quite good.
Its biggest strength is that it's barely a "tree." It's incredibly open-ended and there are a multitude of different strategies you can employ. It's not like you have to go down a particular line only to get the best tech at the very end of the game, if at all. A few turns in, you can get any individual tech you want, if you planned for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Renaissance: Great and effective implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Seconded!
Gets even better with both expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the tech trees in Clash of Cultures and Exodus: Proxima Centauri. The former has already been covered; here's a picture of the latter:

(techs on the left, ship blueprints on the right)

In Exodus, the techs are given two identifying traits of sorts: a color and type (military, transport, or civilian, marked with a symbol). When you research a tech, you get a discount for every already-researched tech of the same color and of the same type. So you don't have to buy techs in any specific order, but getting a lot of techs of a similar nature will make those purchases cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Thanee wrote:

Seconded!
Gets even better with both expansions.
Maybe the tech trees are cool, but when we (tried to) play(ed) this, we aborted the session after it took us three hours to finish the first three turns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Maybe the tech trees are cool, but when we (tried to) play(ed) this, we aborted the session after it took us three hours to finish the first three turns...

Really? That seems a bit much... maybe on the first game, when you are still learning it all (it is a rather complex game).

But you can certainly finish a whole game with four in 4h or so.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innovation has to be worth a mention because it is all about the tech tree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olympus is a very good workerplacement game which is all about building up your civilization. Most of the about 50 Buildings have requitements (like other buildings or tech levels):

Tableau with civilization progress:

Unique buildings:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa - yes, it's a "dour-faced euro," but it's also a great game with a tech tree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.