8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Which Pathfinder ACG set base to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calligula Mariano
msg tools
Hello everyone,

I would like to buy Pathfinder and starting playing this card-RPG.

I'm not familiar with all the sets base, I've found this list:
http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Adventure_Card_Gam...

I've seen that one is more for pirates and you have boats.
I would like to try it.
But is it more difficult than the first one?

and the other sets?

What you suggest (I've never played it!)

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renate Cloake
United Kingdom
Worthing
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the first 2 sets (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set).

We loved Rise of the Runelords but found the gameplay got a bit repetitive. Although they tried to mix it up a bit, the aim of nearly every mission was the same (pin the villain down and kill him). Rise of the Runelords has a basic fantasy theme.

Skull and Shackles has a pirating theme and introduces boats and guns. The rules are clarified slightly from the 1st set, but it is still much the same game. The missions are much more varied. Unfortunately, our group just hasn't got into this set. I don't know whether we just haven't bonded with our characters or whether the distraction of the ships has taken something away from the game.

Anyway, Pathfinder ACG is an excellent game and I would recommend trying any of the sets, but if you want a specific recommendation we preferred Rise of the Runelords despite its flaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
We're only about 1/2 through the entire adventure path in RotRL and I recently started S&S myself solo (playing multiple characters though). Between the two I have to say I prefer S&S. I like the addition of the ships and even the individual scenarios seem to have a better mix so far. I haven't played any of the other ones, and probably won't. In fact the only reason I got S&S is because I got it for a really good sale price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calligula Mariano
msg tools
Thanks!
I was opting for the pirate team.
In case the adventures packages can be mixed?

And the characters as well?
Because i've seen a lot of them and why not mixing all together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Calligula wrote:
Thanks!
I was opting for the pirate team.
In case the adventures packages can be mixed?

And the characters as well?
Because i've seen a lot of them and why not mixing all together?

Kinda of sorta they can be mixed. At a basic level, yes you can send characters from one set through the adventures in another set. In fact some characters reappear in slightly different variations in the two sets I have. However there are some specific keywords attached to the cards (characters, monsters, items, etc) in each set that will not carry over between them. For example S&S adds Swashbuckling as a characteristic some cards have. It is not critical in the sense you can't play w/o it, but if you use S&S characters in RotRL you're not going to get Swashbuckling cards. Vice versa if you use RotRL characters in S&S you may miss out on things by not having it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think mixing sets would be a smooth experience.

I play Skull and Shackles. Since the fun of the game is in the thematic flavor, you should choose the base set with the theme that appeals to you most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calligula wrote:
I would like to buy Pathfinder and starting playing this card-RPG.
Are you sure?
And, please: Don't call it a 'card-RPG'. It's absolutely nothing of the sort. There's no RPG in this at all, apart from the name 'Pathfinder'. It's literally just flipping cards and rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi,

I have played both, have finished Runelords completely and am on the 5th box of S&S.

S&S adds a small amount over Runelords, so in a sense is a shade more complex, although there isn't great deal in it as basically it adds ships, which are the major item and a Keyword, "Swashbuckling", which offers a possible bonus.

Of the two I prefer S&S because it has a couple of much more interesting character classes in the box to play. The truth is though, the game is based on Pathfinder RPG Adventure Paths, and as such is a fairly linear progression though preset scenarios. You alter your deck gradually as the group progresses through the game, simulating the level increase of the characters in the RPG by adding extra cards and changing some cards for more powerful ones. S&S also being a pirate based game seemed to have more theme to me. While fantasy based, it certainly had its fill of the usual parrots, peg legs and the like.

Don't dress this game up as something it isn't, as another poster has written its not an RPG, its closer to a deck builder than an RPG although thats not exactly an accurate description either. Its more about hand and deck management, knowing when you use abilities and when to "take a knee" and heal.

Mixing the sets, Tried it, the game just looses its flavour and stops making sense. In S&S things are all keyed to pirates and ships, when you start adding those in with the Land based Runelords it just means you have lots of useless cards turn up and your deck doesn't improve. Once that happens you will reach a point where you can't beat the current scenario because you are underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.