Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few days ago my Cheapass subscription produced Deadwood: On Location and a bunch of freebies including Gold Digger. People were slow showing up, so the first four of us tried this simple game. I passed out one of each card to each player so that we could read the rules. (It transpired in the first round that I had misread them when I got the game.)

The first round went pretty much as could be expected from the game, with greed leading to ruin from time to time. Five gold was enough to make John the Engineer or Russ happy at the beginning of the game. The second round was preceeded by Russ riffle shuffling the cards a few times, and suddenly we had clumps of identical cards. His shuffling looked random to me.... In the third round the Boom! cards we near the beginning of the deck except for one. I took a huge straight of cards and stopped. Play passed to Russ who got a Boom! Keith took the rest of the deck, but there weren't enough cards to overcome my luck.

The game was fast, and even if it was luck-based we felt like we were making decisions each turn. Good for a few minutes of filler from time to time. Russ objected to the art, saying that it didn't quite match the theme. (Later I recalled the name of the game, and would disagree....) I pointed out that the artist (Phil Foglio) was the same one as for Robo Rally and that he was doing the art for the upcoming `Venus Needs Women' (actually Venus Needs Men). Russ felt that the art here might be in keeping with the theme, so that would be okay....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.