Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty tired of sorting through hex tiles, even when they are relatively well organized in different plano sections.

I was thinking the ideal might be a binder with plastic protectors, like people use for CCG cards, since I could easily see both sides. At least for the more unusual tiles. Maybe pulling them in and out of the pockets would still eventually drive me crazy.

Anyone tried binder plastic protectors? If so, what size pockets is optimal for tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd measure the tile and get the closest fitting pocket I could . . .

It's probably the best organization you get and fast to set up with the downside of being expensive and possibly hard to find depending on the size of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eldon
United Kingdom
Verwood
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
The profile picture is of the first cruise ship I worked on called the TSS Canberra. I ended up spending 10 years working on this ship. The plane in the photo is a British "Canberra" bomber taken from the Rock of Gibraltar
mbmbmbmbmb
the idea is good but not sure about the practicality

Packing up the game at the end of the evening would be a pain as you would have to individually place each tile in the protective slot, also ensuring you had the right page and position in order to make it easier to locate again on set up

I think that would drive me more nuts then picking up a stack of tiles and quickly sorting through them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried that but it was more work to me than it was worth. Instead, now I store them in tennis ball containers. With all of the expansions, I have them in three containers (keeping the Japanese, Winter Wars, and Russian Front tiles in their respective boxes. They all store easily into the M44 storage bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
I tried that but it was more work to me than it was worth. Instead, now I store them in tennis ball containers. With all of the expansions, I have them in three containers (keeping the Japanese, Winter Wars, and Russian Front tiles in their respective boxes. They all store easily into the M44 storage bag.

How do you organise them? Or do you just tip them all out onto the table and root through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My storage is not coin pages except for the small tokens.

This is how I store my terrain tiles:

It is an Akro-Mils 05905.

The 6 spaces on the left are all of the winter tiles from Eastern Front and Winter Wars. The right 3 sections are the desert tiles from the Mediterranean expansion and the desert/green tiles from the terrain expansion. The middle 9 spaces are tiles from 2 base sets and the tiles that do not have winter or desert.

The only real difficulty is finding a tile that has only 1 copy such as the lighthouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Garcia
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Top row to bottom row:

Dice (1), Winter Wars (4), Air Pack and custom snow/desert mountains (2)

Bunkers & the lot (1), Eastern Front (2), Pacific Theater (2), Mediterranean Theater (2)

Markers & Medals (1), Basic M44 (2), Terrain Pack (4)

Plastic obstacles & Mines, Card holders.

Edge of the Terrain are marked: light green for the Terrain Pack, Light Blue for Eastern Front, Dark Green for Pacific Theater, Orange for Mediterranean Theater
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
hpgeek wrote:
My storage is not coin pages except for the small tokens.

This is how I store my terrain tiles:

It is an Akro-Mils 05905.

The 6 spaces on the left are all of the winter tiles from Eastern Front and Winter Wars. The right 3 sections are the desert tiles from the Mediterranean expansion and the desert/green tiles from the terrain expansion. The middle 9 spaces are tiles from 2 base sets and the tiles that do not have winter or desert.

The only real difficulty is finding a tile that has only 1 copy such as the lighthouse.

I currently have something like this, but my fingers have trouble pulling out a whole stack at a time, and I still have to go through a lot of stacks to find what I need. I can't remember what's from each expansion - I try to organize them by type, but since they're not consistently the same on both sides (e.g. all hill/forest), it's still a pain. A bigger plano like Victor's where I can stack them on their side and use labelled subdividers might be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love Victor's idea of coloring the sides, although I don't think I'd do it by expansion, but rather come up with a system for the major tile types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might see if a 12 pocket page fits the bill.

I do understand what you mean about finding the tiles. Once I switched to coin pages for the small tokens it became much easier to find what I was looking for. If you don't see it on one page just turn it to see the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.