Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a HUGE box arrived on Tuesday full of Tomby goodness. I punched everything out, got all the tokens separated out onto a plano box and all the cards sorted into their own boxes and modified the insert to make dividers to keep things separated (photos later).

I had my first game at my weekly game club with 4 others (using base components only) and it mostly went down well. One player had a little complaint that he wasn't able to do much - he chose the Chinese martial artist/healer guy and didn't really search any rooms so didn't get any weapons until late in the game and felt he had too much downtime.

I know we played a few things wrong and I was getting flustered at some points due to multiple people asking too many questions all at once. I've since re-read all the questions and answers on here and I think I've got everything covered (so far).

We ended up killing the Rhaz Azul quite easily. The hardest fight were the damned Scarabs, lol. None of managed to deal more than 3 hits to the blighters so it took forever to clear that room and get the Ruby Scarab.

The game took almost 4 hours but it really only felt like 2 which is a good sign.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing this again (hopefully Friday with my mate, his wife and son) and I'm going to be jumping into a solo campaign very soon.

I'm also hoping to introduce the Traitors expansion soon as there are a bunch of people in our group who love Battlestar Galactica and other games with traitor mechanics so hopefully SotLT will be a hit with them.

Congratulations EEG on creating a great game and for your continued involvement on BGG in answering questions and offering support, it was one of the plus point for me jumping onto this Kickastarter seeing how active you guys are.

Now I just need to get hold of a ton of money so I can quit work and become a full-time Tomb explorer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet that was Chooi :-)

I've had a couple of games now, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I'm not spawning many monsters, really, seeing as how I'm getting 12 actions before one of them spawns, and secondly I think I'm getting some tactics wrong. In the first one, Azul shows up when the comet's on 6 (which happened to me before the end of the first round, even) and in the Kraken one he shows up even earlier. I'm not sure what to do at that point other than go down and fight/rest/fight. Should I instead be searching more, or doing something other than that? I must be missing something obvious, because my two games so far are a lot shorter than people are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha, how did you possibly guess that?

We didn't have many spawns until about 2/3rds through the game when all hell broke loose on level 1 (thankfully). We hadn't uncovered many spawn rooms on levels 2 and 3 and early on the tomb cards were all lower levels so nothing showed up.

Not sure how you were getting the comet track to move up 6 places before the end of round 1. Doesn't it only move when indicated on a Tomb card? I think we had about 8 rounds before Raz showed up due to some Tomb cards not advancing the track.

I think definitely more searching should have been done as Chooi never got any decent weapons and the rest of us were concentrating on killing the quest monsters to get the artifacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, only on tomb cards. Maybe I didn't shuffle them enough...but then again, on the Kraken one, you only need 4 to trigger him.

Chooi mentioned it in another group I'm in, earlier - with pics :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
So, a HUGE box arrived on Tuesday full of Tomby goodness. I punched everything out, got all the tokens separated out onto a plano box and all the cards sorted into their own boxes and modified the insert to make dividers to keep things separated (photos later).

I had my first game at my weekly game club with 4 others (using base components only) and it mostly went down well. One player had a little complaint that he wasn't able to do much - he chose the Chinese martial artist/healer guy and didn't really search any rooms so didn't get any weapons until late in the game and felt he had too much downtime.

I know we played a few things wrong and I was getting flustered at some points due to multiple people asking too many questions all at once. I've since re-read all the questions and answers on here and I think I've got everything covered (so far).

We ended up killing the Rhaz Azul quite easily. The hardest fight were the damned Scarabs, lol. None of managed to deal more than 3 hits to the blighters so it took forever to clear that room and get the Ruby Scarab.

The game took almost 4 hours but it really only felt like 2 which is a good sign.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing this again (hopefully Friday with my mate, his wife and son) and I'm going to be jumping into a solo campaign very soon.

I'm also hoping to introduce the Traitors expansion soon as there are a bunch of people in our group who love Battlestar Galactica and other games with traitor mechanics so hopefully SotLT will be a hit with them.

Congratulations EEG on creating a great game and for your continued involvement on BGG in answering questions and offering support, it was one of the plus point for me jumping onto this Kickastarter seeing how active you guys are.

Now I just need to get hold of a ton of money so I can quit work and become a full-time Tomb explorer

Loving the story!!! Excellent play session! Thank you very much for sharing and please feel free to share more play sessions in the future! Please let me know if you ever have any questions! I'm always very happy to help any way I can!

Enjoy your time in the EOP and as a Full-Time Tomb Explorer!

Thanks so much!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. I'll post up some proper session reports from the next game and hopefully document my solo campaign. So excited to get stuck into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

I've had a couple of games now, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I'm not spawning many monsters, really, seeing as how I'm getting 12 actions before one of them spawns, and secondly I think I'm getting some tactics wrong. In the first one, Azul shows up when the comet's on 6 (which happened to me before the end of the first round, even) and in the Kraken one he shows up even earlier. I'm not sure what to do at that point other than go down and fight/rest/fight. Should I instead be searching more, or doing something other than that? I must be missing something obvious, because my two games so far are a lot shorter than people are saying.

I'm not sure what happened?

How often did you draw a tomb card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a three-player game. I think that gives 4 actions per player. I complete one action at a time, so 12 'turns', then drew a tomb card. That spawned one, maybe two monsters. I had the character with the rocket launcher (4-time usage) so even when the three guardians turned up they were quickly dispatched. In my three games so far I think the most amount of tomb cards I've drawn, i.e. rounds completed, has been three. I must be doing something wrong. With twelve actions I've generally uncovered eight tiles or so, which is a lot of space to avoid the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

It's extremely unlikely to advance the comet track to 6 in one round. You must be playing something wrong. The only things that advances the comet track are:
- Tomb cards (draw one Tomb card after all actions have been spent by all adventurers for the round). That means all 12-13 actions must be spent before a single Tomb card is drawn. You do NOT draw a Tomb card every time you go around the table. Also, the maximum amount a single Tomb card can advance the comet track is 2.
- The rare room tile and story card will advance the comet track by 1.
- If an adventurer dies or flees the Tomb, advance the comet track by 1.

And that's about it. So, for the comet track to advance 6 times in one round, you would have to have drawn the worst Tomb card (+2), and some combination of 4 adventurer deaths/flees and/or extremely rare rooms/cards. I've played about 2 dozen times and never seen the comet track advance more than 3 in one round (+2 from Tomb card, and +1 from failed explore check at The Observatory room tile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the Comet track go up by 4 in one round.
In the scenario The Beginning of the "End":
An adventurer died just before the Tomb phase, advancing the Comet Track.
The increased comet track caused Death to move.
Then the Comet Track was advanced by the Tomb card, causing Death to move adjacent to an adventurer (who didn't think Death would reach him)
Not surprisingly, the adventurer died in the fight, advancing the Comet Track a third time, and moving Death again.
He was now in Mongol's Hall with another adventurer (who fell in the pitfall trap) and killed him, advancing the Comet Track yet again and moving Death to the final room.
We actually won that scenario by the skin of our teeth, but it wasn't easy.

P.S.: the most valuable equipment in that scenario is the Leather Jacket (discard to prevent all damage, which then saves you from dying when fighting Death, and gets you an artifact if you did any damage)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake. My old eyes were seeing the 1 advance story symbol on the tiles as 1 comet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.