8 Posts

Tides of Infamy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat-question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Walasiak
msg tools
Hey,
After playing my first round I've got some few questions concerning combats :)

1) Are battles resolved after each movement turn of the last player with
the red token or do they stay unresolved until all players moved their 3 ships?

2) Best I'm going to explain that with an example:
Red is first player and blue is second player. Red engages Blue's Bilander - so he's not allowed to move his Bilander until the battle is resolved. Well, he could move another ship during his turn - but what if this Bilander is his only ship that doesn't had a move this round? Does blue keep his Movement Card for the next round or does he discard it? I don't know :D

Thank you for the great Game so far :)))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During one round there are (think of it as loops) three loops of ship movements. Player A moves one ship, than player B moves one ship etc. After the last player (player D for example) moves a ship the battles are resolved. Then each player moves one ship again (loop 2) and new battles are resolved again. Then loop 3 and round completed. 1st and last player markers move and a new round begins.

Ships in battle can not move out of battle. A player may opt to use a movement card on a ship that is engaged in battle but can't move it until after the battle (either from that space if victorious our out of its harbor if it was defeated)

Let me know if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Walasiak
msg tools
cool, totally understand this now
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamewalkerLLC wrote:
.... A player may opt to use a movement card on a ship that is engaged in battle but can't move it until after the battle (either from that space if victorious our out of its harbor if it was defeated)

good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we just played our first game, and that was one of the open questions.

So what you are saying is that a ship that is "tied" in an unresolved battle can't move, but can have a movement card played on it and has a "memory" of that movement card which resolves after the battle is resolved.

That would solve my question what to do with leftover movement cards at the end of a turn.

Does that mean I can play a movement card on my "tied" ship(s) even if I have one that could move normally.

If multiple players are tied in a battle, are the "memorized" movements resolved in normal turn order after the battle resolves?

Does the move resolve only when the ship wins the battle? Or also when it surrenders? Is the movement then added to the one free square of movement granted by surrendering, or is it in replacment of?

Clearly some of these question should be covered in the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had two more questions about combat that I thought may fit here.

a) In the red sky cannon phase the one or two cards a player puts down face down in front of him are actually a "hidden" discard, correct? They do not count towards the hand. Is it really one or two cards, so I always have to discard at least one, even if I don't want to?

b) For the hand combinations, the combinations that ask for "matching cards of one rank" does this mean that ONLY rank needs to match (i.e. cards with the same number but of any suit), or would they have to match in rank AND suit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Does that mean I can play a movement card on my "tied" ship(s) even if I have one that could move normally.

yes

Tarod wrote:
If multiple players are tied in a battle, are the "memorized" movements resolved in normal turn order after the battle resolves?

yes

Tarod wrote:
Does the move resolve only when the ship wins the battle? Or also when it surrenders? Is the movement then added to the one free square of movement granted by surrendering, or is it in replacment of?

A ship being attacked in battle can use a movement card but not until after the battle. So regardless of the outcome, the movement card is applied.

If the defending ship wins the battle, it moves from that space. If the defending ship surrenders, it moves from the space to which it moved by surrendering. If the defending ship loses in battle it moves out of the harbor as normal with the movement card. Technically it could enter back into battle on the move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
a) In the red sky cannon phase the one or two cards a player puts down face down in front of him are actually a "hidden" discard, correct? They do not count towards the hand. Is it really one or two cards, so I always have to discard at least one, even if I don't want to?

It is a hidden discard and it is optional. A player may discard up to 2 cards.

Tarod wrote:
b) For the hand combinations, the combinations that ask for "matching cards of one rank" does this mean that ONLY rank needs to match (i.e. cards with the same number but of any suit), or would they have to match in rank AND suit?

Rank (same number) only. Jean put together a table of example hands for each hand ranking:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/127947/alternative-combat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.