MERCS: Recon – Counter Threat» Forums » Rules

Subject: Protocol 7 Mission Help and Stairs Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Graves
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello All, I've been running through the rules and figuring out Mercs Recon as I go for the past couple weeks. Some friends and I have played through about 5-8 games or so and have come up with a list of questions we just can't seem to find anywhere. All of these issues came up playing through the Mission "Protocol 7"

1.) One of the Objectives Says "Kill 12 Optfor before Level 3"

- If we secure the Open Terminal (win B&C event) and make it to the Extraction point, do we just hang out and shoot Optfor as they come if we haven't killed 12 yet? The Security Level seems to go up pretty fast alone without adding all the bodies to it. Just not sure what to do here if we've done everything else but haven't killed enough OptFor.

2.) The mission card states "No Additional Agents placed after the start of the game"
- I'm really confused by this. Does this mean when you get those special security level penalties that add Secfor to the table that we ignore them? Or maybe the Black Agent notes that come up saying turn 1 red and blue into black? Really not sure what is meant or what we're supposed to do/not do. Hoping someone has an idea what this means.

3.) Stairs: Combat and CDD
- We've had several issues with Stairs and I can't find much information on it. In Protocol 7 as with many missions, the extraction point is located at the Stairwell, and it seems each time we've played right when we get to or close to the stairs 2-3 opfor spawn at the stairs. When this happens, unless we're doing something wrong we end up fighting with them in the stairwell which would normally result in a CDD. There isn't any information on the Stair tiles to indicate a CDD is required so i'm curious if other people have had this issue and what they did. *** found this is the unofficial FAQ

4.) Also regarding Stairs and extraction:
- We've had two times now that we had 3 MERCS end their turn ON the stairwell for Extraction. When that happens are they removed from the board? With them standing there the other two MERCS can't move to the Stairwell and therefore end up being left out in the open to fend for themselves. I'm a little confused on how to wrap up the game in this way. *** I found a little more about this in the Unofficial FAQ but i'm still curious what happens to the MERCS. Do the 3 "Leave the building"? or do they wait for the other 2 (assuming all 5 were still alive)

5.) Lastly is Secfor Movement (once identified)
- This may be stupid and in the rules but i'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Agent movement is handled by the movement deck which works great. However, there have been a few times that a security penalty happened where it told us what to spawn and where. In this example the stairwell closest the MERCS. The Stairwell was on the other side of the board and when it was their turn we didn't know how to go about their movement. On the Secfor card it states that they move to attack position. Does that mean if they are on the other side of the board they just automatically end up one space away when it's their turn to attack? Seems a little wonky to me but it is a very situational thing. Reading through more posts i'm seeing a lot of posts about secfor move 2 spaces. For the time being I think we're just going to do that unless someone has better info.

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this and helps. We've learned a lot and had a lot of things cleared up by these posts so hoping to get the rest of these issues resolved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at work, but will try my best to help.

1. I haven't played this mission yey, but yeah, I suspect you still have to get 12 killed to win. I would probably try to kill the 12 before the B&C, because afterwards, you automatically go up a little security level because of immediate Conditions from completing an objective. I don't have the mission with me to check, but if securing the terminal is objective 1, then that would have an immediate Condition afterwards.

Keep in mind, that no matter how many bursts you roll for the casualty pool at the end of the round, you will only go up on a max of one security level. Also, employees are OpFor also, so you can kill them too. You will have to avoid placing CDDs unless it will be really benefitial. So don't risk it for one kill. So the CCC faction might have trouble in some regards, as 2 of them are so Cd8's heavy.

2. If it says no additional agents are placed, then don't place any after the initial ones.

3. Since stairs or elevators don't have area stats like normal spaces. Don't put CDDS there. Attack like normal and resolve Cd8's damage like normal, but don't place a CDD.

4.I would leave the Mercs there until they all get there, as they can still help with combined actions or whatever. There's no stats on the stairs area, so no capacity limit, thus all 5 of your Mercs can fit there.

5.They will just move their 2 spaces as normal (or 3 if they are secfor 4s). They will move by shortest route toward the nearest Merc. If more than one is closest, it will move toward the highest priority one. One it gets close enough, it will move to attack position to attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#4: Over on the MCG Recon forum, Kenny clarified that once you reach the EP, the MERC is removed from the board.

Need to add that to the UnFAQ. (EDIT: done!)

#5: There are 2 distinct Phases. The Agent Phase is when you draw the Movement Card that tells you to move discs and maybe place more discs of even SecFor on the board. Next is the OpFor Phase, where you move the various minis that have been revealed, according to their Unit cards. Greg (Hahma) is correct on #5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
#4: Over on the MCG Recon forum, Kenny clarified that once you reach the EP, the MERC is removed from the board.

Good to know. Thanks!

Yeah, seems there were a few details left out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Chinkster wrote:

Good to know. Thanks!

Yeah, seems there were a few details left out.

Heh. Still can't believe Collateral Targets rated 3 lines in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graves
United States
California
flag msg tools
Awesome, thanks for the clarification everyone! Seems to be the only real issues I've had, though i'm sure more will pop up sooner than later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.