Popular Tags: [View All]
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog on BGG
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a Samurai gain 2 points from a contest if they announce and play a cheat card at the start of the contest, and then announce and play another card as normal in their contest?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer no.

"The power says before a contest starts...to play a specific card.....you score 1 point."

Highlighted parts for effect. Playing a cheat card is a part of same contest so you either get the point for playing the cheat or the point for the other card you named. Also you do this before the contest, which means before any cards are played. This isn't two separate contests even with warp zone (I think that the card that both players discard cards and replay ones).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I have another question that I can't find the answer to elsewhere, but it's fundamental to the Valkyries' ability:

Do walls block Vanir's Judgement?

I would be inclined to say no, as thematically it's a lightening bolt coming from above.

But if walls do block it, I assume they effect it in the same way that walls effect an Amazon's killzone? (because Vanirs Judgement effects all adjacent and diagonal enemies).
i.e. "If the diagonal skims the edge of a wall, it is blocked".

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Ohlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Kaos Warp it's actually two contests, but the first one is cancelled ("Cancel the results of this contest...and start another"). So I guess that means you only get to change your mind (as in which card you call) before the second contests starts, but don't score any points for the first called card since that is included as part of the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Ohlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walls block killzones. If the effect is on "adjacent" space I would say they don't block the effect (also mentioned in the FAQ for the Ogre stomp ability which is adjacent spaces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoffer82 wrote:
Walls block killzones. If the effect is on "adjacent" space I would say they don't block the effect (also mentioned in the FAQ for the Ogre stomp ability which is adjacent spaces).

I've just looked into this in a little more detail and found this in the rulebook on page 21:
"Any special ability or card that allows diagonals may be blocked by walls. If the diagonal skims the edge of a wall, it is blocked."

So despite my initial thoughts, it seems that walls would in fact block the diagonals of Vanir's Judgement. Still, it's a great ability, especially when the pitch is loaded in a 3 or 4 player game.

While I acknowledge that the Ogre's Stomp does not get blocked by walls (it's effectively a small earthquake), I'd have to play it that the adjacent spaces of Vanir's Judgement do get blocked by walls, because it would be strange for diagonals to be blocked but not the adjacents. I think the ability is unfortunately worded in that respect and can totally see where confusion would come from.

Having said all that, it still doesn't sit right - does anybody have any more evidence to suggest that walls do not block Vanir's Judgement??...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Ohlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:
I've just looked into this in a little more detail and found this in the rulebook on page 21:
"Any special ability or card that allows diagonals may be blocked by walls. If the diagonal skims the edge of a wall, it is blocked."

On the same page it also says walls block movement and killzones, nothing more.
I guess by special abilities or cards they mean things that would extend the killzone/movement to include diagonal, like the amazons special ability for example.

But I can understand your point of view

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.