21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Top 5 Card Games... Like Uno, Exploding Kittens, Etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Gaurano
msg tools
designer
Hey people. New to the forums here, though I always found myself glancing at board game ratings and reviews from boardgamegeek every time I used the google search engine. Anyways, I wanted to know your guy's take on the best card games out there. Not CCG or TCG card games, but tabletop board game card games... like Dominion, Munchkin, Uno, Exploding Kittens, Cards against Humanity, etc.

Thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I wouldn't put Munchkin, Uno, Exploding Kittens, or Cards Against Humanity in the conversation for best card games. Most of those games have very shallow gameplay and rely on novelty factor more than anything.

For me, the best non CCG, TCG or LCG games are:

Star Realms - Sci-fi theme. Tons of great interaction between factions and a ton of gameplay in a tiny, affordable box.

The Big Book of Madness - Harry potter-esque theme. Fun co-op deckbuilder with variable setup and a system that really forces real cooperation to get anywhere. Some people find it a little abstract, but it's one of the most requested games among my thematic gamer friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Horton
United States
Union City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! This kind of info is usually best found in a geeklist, or compiled as a poll. For example:

Best Card Games Under $25
THE BEST CARD GAMES
Card Games are the best - Hitlist of popular Card Games

In any case, my favorite card games are: Cribbage, Star Realms, BattleCON: Devastation of Indines (and all of the other Battlecon stuff) to name diverse a few
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favorite is probably Coup. I love deduction and bluffing and this game provides enough of a shell around those core elements to where it's thematic and replayable, but doesn't add too much as to dilute them.

Star Realms. It's just a fun, quick deckbuilder with a few different strategies to explore. And Star Realms: Gambit Set adds solo and co-op variants.

Fleet. I like the theme quite a lot (commercial fishing in Nunavut) and the "feel" of building your engine as the game progresses.

Hanabi. This was one of the first things I played when I started getting into the hobby and it just blew me away. I've since settled on it a bit, but I still regard it highly.

Light Rail. I really don't know what it is about this game, but I really like it. It's a pretty simple tile-laying route-building game, but I fell in love the first time I played it.

Kigi. This is six, but oh well. This game could also be described as tile-laying, but it's pretty freeform and unique and, especially in the context of the art, elegant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion: Still the best deck builder in my eyes.

Epic Card Game: All the fun of a TCG in a small box.

Love Letter: It is amazing how much fun a very simple and totally random game consisting of only 16 cards can be.

Skat: My favourite game that uses a standard deck of cards.

Star Realms: While I like Dominion better, this is a great alternative if you are looking for a more tactical game instead of a strategic one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgaurano wrote:
Anyways, I wanted to know your guy's take on the best card games out there. Not CCG or TCG card games, but tabletop board game card games... like Dominion, Munchkin, Uno, Exploding Kittens, Cards against Humanity, etc.
Absolutely none of those! Try Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders and if you're up for a bit of a challenge Core Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
bgaurano wrote:
Not CCG or TCG card games, but tabletop board game card games... like Dominion, Munchkin, Uno, Exploding Kittens, Cards against Humanity, etc.

The advanced search at the top of the page can help you find games in specific categories (like 'card game').

Based on some of your suggestions, for example, this is a search for non-customizable lightweight card games sorted by average rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Actually I'd still play UNO if I didn't want to think at all. Dropping a draw four on someone with one card left still feels good.

But yeah, check out games like Linko!, Parade, Cockroach Poker, Haggis, Tichu, Coup, Money!, For Sale or Traders of Osaka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arboretum is a great card game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
bgaurano wrote:
Anyways, I wanted to know your guy's take on the best card games out there. Not CCG or TCG card games, but tabletop board game card games... like Dominion, Munchkin, Uno, Exploding Kittens, Cards against Humanity, etc.
Absolutely none of those! Try Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders and if you're up for a bit of a challenge Core Worlds.

7 Wonders and Core Worlds get my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
Star Realms
Mottantai
Glory to Rome
Potato Man
Arboretum
Hanabi
Jaipur
Biblios
Coup

I'm only listing games that don't have a board and most of the game is card playing. The only extras would be components to track money/score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uno sized card only games I would go
1. The Game
2. Hanabi
3. Valley of the Kings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gem Carroll
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group of friends love Fluxx (this links to the original). Daft, but fun.

There are so many variations of it now, that there's really something for everyone - we favour Star, Monty Python and Pirate. Depends on what your bag is really

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the various versions of Love Letter, Coup, Sushi Go, Hanabi. All for around $10 or less.

And then there is Best Games Played with a Standard Deck of Playing Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmb
Love Letter is still my favourite. So much game is just a few cards. It's great!

Among the Stars is the best card drafting game IMO. The constructing a space station theme is incredible! Though, if you want something quicker Sushi Go! does nicely in a pinch.

Black Spy is a trick taking game based on Hearts, with a very thin spy theme (but not really). Theme, or lack thereof aside, Black Spy is a really fun game.

Cockroach Poker is a fast, fun, bluffing and push-your-luck game.

Coloretto is another fun, and often frustrating (in a good way), trick taking game with a twist.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite card games are Battle Line and Innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Luis Silva
Spain
Plasencia
Extremadura
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about?:
Linko!
Jaipur
Turn the Tide
Morels
Beasty Bar
Coloretto
7 Wonders
Port Royal
Parade
Chronicle
Arboretum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders
Valley of the Kings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Gaurano
msg tools
designer
Wow so many card games I've never heard of! I'm definitely checking out Star Realms and 7 Wonders.

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell people, no mention of Bohnanza?

Also... Monopoly Deal Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Fluxx but there are people who absolutely hate the game.

Sushi Go! and Fairy Tale are two good card drafting games. Greed's also fun although the theme might not be appropriate for children.

I don't normally like deck-building games but I do enjoy Flip City.

Innovation and its expansions are a good choice if you're looking for a card game with some depth to it.

Finally, I love Fidelitas. It's a fun game but it doesn't seem to get much attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.