Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the US had gone to war with France or Britain between 1800 and 1812 and Hamilton hadn't dueled with Burr in Weehawken, New Jersey on July 11, 1804 would Jefferson or Madison have re-appointed him as General? or was the rift between Hamilton and the Virginia's too wide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
Some may view giving Hamilton a commission under Madison like Parliament granting Cromwell an army during the Glorious Revolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no scholar of the period, and I suspect vastly better-read historians will have more accurate insight... but Hamilton (like Adams) was considered almost a royalist by his political rivals. So it might be doubtful that the Virginians would give him command of a force that faced the Brits. Plus, those gentlemen hated Hamilton's bastard, loudmouth, immigrant guts.

Also, knowing he had no loyalty to their dynasty, Jefferson likely feared Hamilton would go "filibustering", and conquer foreign-held Florida or New Orleans or something. Like Burr (ironically), Hamilton was a life-long avowed abolitionist, and that didn't sit well with the planters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan R. wrote:
I'm no scholar of the period, and I suspect vastly better-read historians will have more accurate insight... but Hamilton (like Adams) was considered almost a royalist by his political rivals. So it might be doubtful that the Virginians would give him command of a force that faced the Brits. Plus, those gentlemen hated Hamilton's bastard, loudmouth, immigrant guts.

Also, knowing he had no loyalty to their dynasty, Jefferson likely feared Hamilton would go "filibustering", and conquer foreign-held Florida or New Orleans or something. Like Burr (ironically), Hamilton was a life-long avowed abolitionist, and that didn't sit well with the planters.

I don't know if anything similar happened in the Army (although I don't see why not) but I have read that appointments in the Navy were affected by which side of the political divide you were on, so I suspect if political loyalties affected ship commands it would equally effect ones chances of getting a general officer appointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
Some may view giving Hamilton a commission under Madison like Parliament granting Cromwell an army during the Glorious Revolution.

Great anology. I guess the only way would have been as a political deal to get NY and New England behind a war efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Virginia dynasty were careful about the politics of their general and for that reason, despite questions about his ability, kept using James Wilkinson. Even Adams distrusted Hamilton and they were in the same party; no doubt the Jeffersonian Republicans would have had even more concerns.

But in my game you can make him general if you like. Assuming he avoids dying in a duel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.