1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Good family euro? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing games with my family. But my wife and youngest son are care bear player's. I'm drawing a blank on a good family weight Euro. For about $25-35. Anyone have a good idea? I would be grateful.. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you looking for The Castles of Burgundy?

It's on your must have wishlist. It's a good fun game with little to no aggressive actions. The worst is taking a tile someone else obviously wants. And you can find it for your price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what a care bear player is, but Ticket to Ride is a good family Euro and is $38 on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor
Takenoko
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cacao
Concordia
Five Tribes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Not easy to come by, but these two are great because the rules are so streamlined.

Through the Desert
TransAmerica

bwingrave wrote:
I don't know what a care bear player is, but Ticket to Ride is a good family Euro and is $38 on Amazon.

Seems like the right answer to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba its from Haba. Decent tile placement game you can easily house rule for younger players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg
Lords of Waterdeep

Not sure of the costs, but worth it if its more.
Euro worker placement game.
Peaceful. (unless someone goes on a spot you want)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i hear "Family Euro", I think Lords of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Castles of Burgundy

+1 Concordia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is a good family-weight game in that price range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are both at the high end of your price range but look at:
Steam Park - construct an amusement park to attract robot visitors.
New York 1901 - become the most successful builder in turn of the century New York. Simple rules and surprising depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cacao

Simple rules, fun theme (I'm a sucker for the wooden cacao beans!) and interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bove
msg tools
With my family Ticket to Ride, Catan and Splendor do the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Case
msg tools
You might want to check out:

Zooloretto
Ticket to Ride
Niagara
Carcassonne
Machi Koro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another vote for Catan. You didn't mention your son's age but adding the Cities and Knights expansion is a must at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cacao
Thurn and Taxis
Splendor
Oregon
Sanssouci
TransAmerica
Villa Paletti
Sushi Go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King which plays fast, offers great replay ability, is easy to learn (small manual) and introduces mechanics like tile placement, area control, auction/bidding and variable scoring which will make it easier to learn future games.

Also I would agree with others who say Karuba which a lot of people don't know or talk about yet.

Watch some video reviews on these to see if it fits with your family. Or even read the pdf manuals on their BGG page, you'll see how quick you can teach both of these. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd need more information. You own Ticket to Ride, Alhambra, Carc, Sushi Go, Splendor, Black Fleet, Small World, Kingsburg, Lords of Waterdeep, and Dominion. Which of these have you played with your family? Which of these did they like? Were you able to tell what about the games they liked? What sorts of things do you personally like in games? Do you like confrontational games? Build your own things games? How long a play time are you looking for? Are you looking for 2 - 3 player games?

Sorry for all the questions, but other than the generic "Ticket to Ride is the best game ever", not sure that I can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride can be extremely nasty, especially at 3 players.

Cinque Terre and The Great Fire of London 1666 are fantastic family weight Euros with little negative interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Armata

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Zooloretto

Family friendly, kids enjoy the theme and surprisingly enough strategy to keep the adults entertained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's favorites are splendor,mochi Koro,7 wonders,Kingsburg. My son's favorites are Elder sign, Run,Fight or Die , Dicetown, and 7 Wonders. The whole family love Ticket to Ride, Among the stars, suburbia. The really like building things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silversage5150 wrote:
The whole family love Ticket to Ride

Airlines Europe

Give Airlines Europe a try. It's also from Ticket to Ride's designer Alan Moon and adds a bit more complexity with the implementation of a stock market.

Alhambra

Well-deserved Spiel des Jahres winner 2003. I still enjoy playing this game to this day.

Pergamon

An overlooked euro family game with some really nice and clever ideas. It also plays really well with just 2 players.

Stone Age or Lords of Waterdeep

The classic gateway worker placement game duel, Stone Age versus Lords of Waterdeep. Here's a brief rundown:

Stone Age
Completely language independent (no text)
Looks fantastic
Easy rules
Intuitive flow
Involves very basic mathematics for younger players (E I rolled 22, each gathered stone costs me 5 -- how many stones do I get ?)

Lords of Waterdeep
Higher replay value (hidden objectives + many different buildings)
More interactive (Intrigie/action cards)
More competition
More strategic depth
Thin theme
Predetermined number of rounds

Takenoko

Very lighthearted and enjoyable game with fantastic components and a low level of competition between players, as goal/points cards are hidden from each other (so players can't mess with each other on purpose). This is pretty much the definition of a family game for me, as younger players will enjoy the nice and colourful components and the adults still have enough of a tactics game going on to keep their minds interested and busy.

►Alhambra, ►Stone Age, ►Lords of Waterdeep and ►Takenoko were featured on Tabletop.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Asara, the land of a thousand towers. It's a worker placement that uses cards as workers and the main purpose of the game is to construct different types of towers.

Another one that you may enjoy, but can be hard to get a hold of is Torres. It is very unique and you are building towers throughout the game as well.

If you like TTR, check out Trekking the National Parks. It's a fabulous game that our family likes better than TTR.

Good luck, I have found that finding good family games that everyone likes to play is a difficult task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.