5 Posts

Sushi Go!» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2-Player Grid Drafting Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a style of 1v1 drafting called Grid which I learned from doing Magic the Gathering Cube drafts. I tested this out a little myself and it seems to work pretty great. Here is how it works:

Count out 4 piles of 9 cards and set them aside.

Take 1 pile and spread all the cards on the table in a 3x3 grid.

The first player takes an entire column, or a row and places them face up next to them. The next player takes a column or a row (so either a full line of 3, or a broken line of 2). After both players choose discard the rest of the cards (either 3 or 4 cards) and open another pack and reverse the play order.

Once all 4 packs are gone, count the points for that round same as regular Sushi go. Play 2 more rounds and add up pudding at the end.

Chopsticks: Chopsticks cannot be used in the same "pack" as they were drafted. The next time the player chooses a line of cards that player can replace any remaining card with his chopsticks.

Example:

Pack 1
Barry takes column A, Tempura/Tempura/Chopstick.
Henry takes column C, Dumpling/pudding/dumpling.

Pack 2
Henry takes row 1, Sashimi/Sashimi/Maki
Barry takes column A Tempura/Pudding. Barry could have used his chopsticks up he opted not to.

Pack 3
Barry takes column B, Sashimi/Pudding/Maki. Barry chooses to use chopsticks to grab the remaining Sashimi from column A to block Henry.
Henry takes column A, Pudding/Dumpling/Chopsticks (hoping to get chopstick revenge in pack 4.)

Please let me know what you think! I can't take much credit, since I just stole the idea from MtG, but the chopstick innovation is mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might give this a go actually. My girlfriend and I have been playing a fair bit of Sushi Go! recently because it's on my 10x10 Challenge and we really like using the 7 Wonders: Duel variant, but this sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes. I haven't been able to try this with a person yet, although it seemed to work well when I was fish-bowling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested this a bunch, it is super optimal way to play 1v1. Especially perfect because it uses 100% of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
Deal out the entire 108 cards (12 piles of 9 cards dealt out 1 per pile to aid in shuffling) so there are 3 sets of 4 packs of 9 cards ready to go (this is what is great about the original sushi go that Party lacks - the card counting aspect (of the main game and this variant e.g. "from what I've seen so far will there be enough Sashimi to warrant going for it in this last round?"),  there's no need to reshuffle so often and you'll get a good variety of different games over the course of the packs - if there's a heavy amount of puddings in one round you'll know not to expect them for the rest of the packs, etc.).

this is my favorite way to solo Sushi Go and would recommend it for 2-players to try for themselves.
It plays so fast and you get to make meaningful decisions - the more so without the pudding penalty (+6/no points. And not -6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.