Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Printing Custom Races? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Roberto
United States
New York
flag msg tools
So I've been trying to make up my mind on adding in some of the 15+ homebrew Custom races (on BGG forums for those unaware) and I was wondering, for those of you who have decided to incorporate them into your build, how did you go about printing them?
For cards I'd imagine it's pretty easy, you drop 40$ and sleeve all your cards in the game, and then just print out the new ones, throw the front and back in a sleeve and Viola they're done.

I'm not sure how you would go about doing the racial sheets, and even less sure about custom systems. Maybe for the racial sheets you take them to a printers, and have them use a high resolution printer on thicker stock paper, or maybe just print them yourself on thicker paper, and just leave the backs blank...
But I'm at a complete loss for custom systems, the only possible solution I see is to print out the new system, and using an adhesive spray put it on over a empty system tile, but I will admit after 4 years I'm absolutely unwilling to sacrifice any of my tiles, and I'm never able to find any extra system tiles on FFG or eBay without having to just buy a whole new base set. As far as I know you can't print to cardboard, I'm not even sure how FFG even prints em in the first place, or if a professional printers could even do that upon request. And I could see printing the front and back of the tile yourself, cutting a hexagon out of cardboard and use adhesive spray to "make" a brand new tile, but to find an exact identical match in terms of thickness has proven to be quite difficult.

So I'm desperate, I'd love to try out some of these awesome new races, but what are some of the solutions you folk have tried if any? I'm at a complete loss here....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have print ready graphics that will save some effort and costs.

Printing isn't an issue, I've done many. Cost is the issue, it's not cheap.

The easy and cheaper way is to buy used copies and print then glue.

I've got a bunch of things to print off anyway, I just wish there were more hours in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ɓukasz S
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. I print my translated races on photo paper in good quality. And they looks very good. You can laminate this after print

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I print my cards on cardstock, eight to a sheet, double-sided, cut, score, fold, glue and trim them. They come out a little heavier than the game cards.

I buy linen business paper / resume paper for the pieces, print and mount those on posterboard that has been folded and glued once, then score the pieces and fold them over again. Again, the pieces come out thicker then the TI3 pieces. One of the reasons I don't try to cut new hexes anymore (did once) is because I can't get them to the right depth. For the home systems I'd print out the home tile on linen paper and glue it with spray glue onto a spare home system tile.

You have to understand I INSIST on having each race have its own pieces, so I have spare tiles.

If you do that you also end up with spare sets of technology cards. For those I just print the backs with tweaked colors (Adobe Photoshop Elements).

The real trick is you end up running out of distinctive color space for your pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberto
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you this is very helpful, I will look into this. For now I planned on using https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/blank-large-hex-tile for the hexagons, and heavy stock + laminations for the sheets. I planned on just using card sleeves for every card but your method might be better. I also was just not going to bother creating new tokens for each new race, but if its as simple as you say it is I will seriously consider....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hamman88 wrote:
Thank you this is very helpful, I will look into this. For now I planned on using https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/blank-large-hex-tile for the hexagons, and heavy stock + laminations for the sheets. I planned on just using card sleeves for every card but your method might be better. I also was just not going to bother creating new tokens for each new race, but if its as simple as you say it is I will seriously consider....

Oh thank you for showing me that web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.