Chad Raeside
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might just consider Sequence as the game that pulled me full force into board gaming. And the strange thing is that I first played Sequence on a home-made board. It was made using a mini-deck of playing cards taped to white poster board. Then, they used contact paper to smooth out the surface and protect it from writing utensils and water. When I first played the original version by Jax, I noticed the (seemingly) haphazard way of displaying the cards on the board. It was very difficult to find the cards in your hand on the board. With the home-made board however, the hearts were arranged together in one corner and in the opposite corner. The other suits were arranged the same. I like this asymetric board much better than the edition you can buy from Jax.

The game can be played with 2-12 players. There are not too many games that this is true. The lag between plays in a 8 player game is pretty bad. I can't imagine what it would be in a 12-player game!

Essentially, the object of the game is to complete two sequences of chips before your opponent(s). One sequence comprises of a row of five chips horizontally, vertically, or diagonally on the game board. On your turn, simply place one of your cards in front of you for all to see. Then, place your colored chip on that card depicted on the board. Team members alternate play for fairness. The corned depict a joker like character. Those spaces are free for both teams to use in their sequences. The jacks are not depicted at all on the board. The one-eyed jacks allow players to remove any opponent's chip! Great defensive strategy. The two-eyed jacks allow players to place one chip anywhere on the board. The official rules say that jokers are not used in the game. We play a variant whereby the jokers can be used as EITHER jack but not both.

Once the first sequence is completed, the opponents cannot remove any part of it with jacks and jokers. The teams can use one of the chips in their first sequence to create a second, but not more than one chip.

Many players get tired of this game because they believe the luck of card distribution is what controls the outcome. To some extent, I agree, but cunning and skillful use of the cards can overcome players with tons of wild cards.

I have always considered this a great game for children as they simply have to do a little matching in order to play. Once they learn the object, then their brains start developing the decisions involved to win.

I rate this game a 9 on the 10 point scale that BGG uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.