Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » Wargaming Press Releases

Subject: Polyversal - New 6mm Tabletop Game System - Game Entry Announcement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a game entry for Polyversal, which is a 6mm SciFi tabletop game that features a robust unit design system and compatibility with all 6mm SciFi Miniatures. This system also works with 10mm models.

Polyversal lets you create "Combatant Tiles" which are used in games to provide the stats for each model at your fingertips. They are hexagonal because they're also interlocked together to form visual "battlegroups" around central command units. Orders and tracking are generally handled off the board (on these tiles) in order to keep the focus on the miniatures.

Artwork in the game is by Bruno Werneck who has worked on concept art for movies like Tron: Legacy, Thor, and Star Trek, and games like Titanfall. His portfolio is here.

We've created a few videos that are posted in the game entry that walk you through introductory gameplay and command and control in the game. Here is the introductory gameplay video:

The setting is a near-future Earth in approximately the 22nd century. To see an intro on the story, check out this video:

The game will be available as "rules-only", "rules with tokens dice and counters", and as base sets that include miniatures from multiple manufacturing partners (Hawk Wargames, Plasmablast Games, Brigade Models, Microworld Games, and Dark Realm Miniatures) as well as pre-designed Combatant Tiles for each model. Our fine partner companies make the minis- we focus on great rules. What's also nice for players is, with the design tool, you don't have to wait on us to expand the game. You can buy minis from any line, make a tile for it, and play with it in Polyversal.

One more thing to mention is that we're working with a 6th company, The Phalanx Consortium, to create some custom cityscape terrain featuring skyscrapers and larger buildings than you'd normally see in a game like this. The buildings are cast foam resin so very light and quite detailed.

Polyversal has been in development for nearly a decade and we expect to release it in November of this year. If this sounds interesting to you, or if you have a bunch of models you want to bring new life to in a new game, or if you have other questions, please head to the game entry and join us to discuss what we're up to.

Thanks,
Byron
Collins Epic Wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Kickstarted this publisher's last project. My one piece of advice would be to keep an open mind about the anticipated delivery date. In the case of the last project, my game shipped 16 months after the initial anticipated date of delivery. There was minimal communication. I know that there was a personal issue, but the publisher conceded that the delay could not be attributed solely to this. In October, the publisher stated, "It's taken too long. I'm doing all I can to wrap this up as quickly as possible- which is happening." My game did not ship until ten months later.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from backing this newest project. I'm just advising everyone to have reasonable expectations as to potential delays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
I Kickstarted this publisher's last project. My one piece of advice would be to keep an open mind about the anticipated delivery date. In the case of the last project, my game shipped 16 months after the initial anticipated date of delivery. There was minimal communication. I know that there was a personal issue, but the publisher conceded that the delay could not be attributed solely to this. In October, the publisher stated, "It's taken too long. I'm doing all I can to wrap this up as quickly as possible- which is happening." My game did not ship until ten months later.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from backing this newest project. I'm just advising everyone to have reasonable expectations as to potential delays.

Despite the delay (not at all unusual for a lot of Kickstarter projects BTW), how was the game you purchased? Was it made well, components, rules completeness, does it play well, etc etc? Would be nice to know if it was worth the wait.

Polyversal looks pretty interesting so background on a prior game by the same designer would be great! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:

Despite the delay (not at all unusual for a lot of Kickstarter projects BTW), how was the game you purchased? Was it made well, components, rules completeness, does it play well, etc etc? Would be nice to know if it was worth the wait.

Polyversal looks pretty interesting so background on a prior game by the same designer would be great! Thanks!

No complaints about the quality of the game. I thought that it was pricey for what I got, but the cards and box were of good quality and the game itself was well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
My only worry would be that by sourcing the game miniatures from several different (and at times, competing) manufacturers, that will be a sure way to make sure delivery is slow.

In other words, if I run a company supplying miniatures for my own product line, and someone wants to buy miniatures from me for a competing product line, you can be assured I will fill my game orders first, and theirs second.

There's also the nagging sense that minis from various makers will all have different quality issues, and different looks -- i.e., not entirely homogeneous in appearance or scale.

[After reading Byron's response in the thread below, I can see he's got things well in hand, so my basic concerns seem to be un-founded. I wish him the best of luck with this new game.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
kilarney wrote:

I agree. Kickstarter projects almost always deliver later than expected. I personally haven't had one go 16 months late (yet) but I have one now that is 6 months late with no hard delivery date in sight.

The important things are:
1) Did the project get delivered?
2) Did the quality of the project meet what was promised?
3) How good was it? Did the product meet or exceed your expectations as far as (in the case of a game) game play?

To me, if my answers to those 3 questions are positive, then the project was a success. Two out of three, I decide on a game by game basis. Generally, if the game is fun but the components are sub-par I keep it. If the game is meh but great component quality, I sell or trade it, because somebody always wants a ks edition of a game they missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All good points. But keep in mind that the 16 month delay was for mere cards in a box. This game, having minis, brings the publisher into uncharted waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this one in action at Origins, and it looks very cool.

I'm looking to pick up the rules and finally do something with all my leftover WH40k epic minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the $125 pledge and I'm glad I did, especially after seeing the follow up videos. The game certainly looks playable and clever, with a minimum of clutter on the board. Nothing worse than having beautiful minis obliterated by markers! It looks like this game gets it all right and I'm happy to support it. I hope others check it out as well.

Good luck!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
All good points. But keep in mind that the 16 month delay was for mere cards in a box.

Respectfully disagree. Each of those cards, and the full game itself, had to be designed, fully playtested, and balanced. Production wise, yes, it seems very simple... but... none of my games are just cards in a box.

kilarney wrote:
This game, having minis, brings the publisher into uncharted waters.

We're not making miniatures. In fact, all of our miniatures are sourced from existing, reputable suppliers. This is discussed in the risks portion of the KS project. If for some reason, a miniatures supplier cannot deliver on time, we will source to another supplier and substitute, if required, something of equal or greater value that accomplishes that mini's role.

Not discounting your warning to others, Kyle, but I handled the project the best I could when I lost my sister unexpectedly. The minimal communication during that time was me dealing with it in my own way. The project was put on hold because that was not my priority. This was explained in an update.

For anyone considering not backing us now or in the future for the above reasons, I ask you to check my service history for our customers. I offered Kyle a full refund yesterday, should he want it, because of his poor experience with my last project, and he could of course keep the game. I also processed several refunds for KS backers of my last project who were tired of waiting. FYI.... refunds are almost non-existent for kickstarter backers once the transaction occurs. It depends on the project creator.

I've delivered 3 kickstarter projects and published 5 total games for very little if any profit over the course of my time as a publisher. It's not my first game, but it is a bit more ambitious, yes, but, I'm confident it can and will be done- and when it's done, it's done with high quality like all my games.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
My only worry would be that by sourcing the game miniatures from several different (and at times, competing) manufacturers, that will be a sure way to make sure delivery is slow.

We're all working together, actually. It's been several years of fostering trust and business relationships with each of our 6 partners. They too are supporting us, and even have blogged about the project and added / embedded the mini-KS widget to their sites in some cases. Regarding time, because the volume is high on each of our orders with them, they must do special casting runs for each mini, but, all of the molds are already made and they're standing by for the orders. We have quotes in hand, and expect to place orders after a successful KS, which helps us get those rolling as we do some additional development, artwork, etc., for the main game, and as we roll out and work on the web-based combatant design tool, which the project also funds.

Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
In other words, if I run a company supplying miniatures for my own product line, and someone wants to buy miniatures from me for a competing product line, you can be assured I will fill my game orders first, and theirs second.

We have contracts that specify a delivery time within 2 months of order placement- that gives them time to cast and ship and us time to prepare for them. Our current KS closes at the end of March. We've accounted for this time by expecting a (realistic) delivery date of November this year.

Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
There's also the nagging sense that minis from various makers will all have different quality issues, and different looks -- i.e., not entirely homogeneous in appearance or scale.

Actually, no, we have them all and they look great together. The scale is all the same, except Hawk, which is 10mm... but we're using Hawk's walkers, not infantry, for example, and the walkers work nicely as a heavier 6mm walker in Polyversal. If we went with a few other manufacturers, I think some may look more 'heroic' than others, but not with these. Regarding visual appearance and coherence, we're actually working on sets of painted minis to show better what's in the box. Currently, the manufacturers images we've used to convey this are used, which do not look the same since they're taken in different settings, are at different image scales, etc. But, we're working hard on that right now.

In fact, we're also working on two alternate sets of each faction with completely different models for the UN and OPFOR. If nothing else, perhaps pledge a dollar and follow along as we progress.

Finally, there are two rather long podcast interviews you might be interested in... first one is Episode 124 from Meeples and Miniatures- an interview with Ken the designer... second is an interview with me which is getting released next Monday by Meeples and Miniatures (UK podcast).

Thanks for your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention this, but, I ran 4 full games of Polyversal last weekend in Williamsburg, VA.

This video captures feedback from several of the players. Everyone (including me) had a blast with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Byron,

I missed your offer for a refund, but I would not have accepted. I got my game and I am more than happy to pay for it. That was my end of the bargain. Thanks for the offer, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Kyle, thanks. Enjoy the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely back Kickstarter projects, but I've worked with Byron on several different Origins projects, and he's never been anything less than a great partner, and always overdelivered on his end of the deal - usually prize support for event participants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abnatha Pryde
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I don't have experience dealing with most of the miniature companies involved in this project, but I have ordered from Microworld Games nine times in the past two years. Every single order has arrived within a week of my order placement, everything has arrived accurate, and I have zero complaints on the quality of Microworld's miniatures. Microworld's partnership is enough to insure my involvement in this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say I had a very positive experience backing the Spearpoint 1943: Eastern Front Kickstarter campaign. Byron delivered a great game and was even gracious enough to accommodate my request to add on an additional item after funding was complete. The project was delayed but keep in mind he offered the entire Heavy Weapons Expansion as a stretch goal.

Byron also makes himself available in the forums and through the Kickstarter messaging system for questions and comments. I have a great deal of respect for game designers that are accessible to the gaming community and give their time so freely. It's not an easy business to navigate.

I wouldn't hesitate to back any Collins Epic Wargames project. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way. I'm just a happy customer coming here to thank the designer for all his efforts. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the original Spearpoint and got great service and a great product. Kickstarters rarely deliver on time. I've backed digital Twilight Struggle and it's been that long since I did that I'm pretty sure I went in for the ZX Spectrum 48k level !
Seriously - chill out those knocking someone trying to get a game out there (unless of course you've done one yourself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

And it's okay. I failed to deliver the project on time. I own that. Things happen. Main thing is, I think, that it was delivered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lfseeney
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am backing this for many reasons, even though I got burned by Alien Dungeon and Cool Mini on their dropped products.

All Quiet on the Martian Front and Sedition Wars.

If you do not expect a delay in a KS then please never back one, as you will have issues.

I have watched this game for about 4 years, hearing bits about it and reports from a Cons.

Seeing how it works now, and how many things are taken into consideration but I do not end up with 4+2+2+1+1 added to a die 6.
I do not have to check and find up to 6 mods to every shot.

But it stills allows for a Mobility hit, or Weapon System Damage, or Suppression.
With One Roll of the Dice.

Also I can use all those Mech War Clix along side the newer stuff and build a force that makes sense to me.

So I am backing, hoping it makes it out to the world.

Having had to write Procedures and such, I know how hard it is to write a set of rules most folks will read and get the same answer.

But these rules feel like a coming together of many ideas into a whole that is much stronger than the parts.

As to the Minis, the folks they are using make those minis right now for the most part, so it is not like many where all you see is some digital pic, that only exists in a computer render.
Then you get the mini and they put a mold line in the middle of the face, or some crap.

Then they have those huge buildings, they really look great, and are at good prices.

So if you like the idea of using every mini you want, and can make a stat card with your mini, Designed the way you think it should be, or from a book or movie, and a rule set that flows and allows some thought, I would give PolyV a try.

It is not a I Move, Shoot all your Stuff I can See, you Move what is Left kinda Game.

Good Gaming All

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
Byron,

I missed your offer for a refund, but I would not have accepted. I got my game and I am more than happy to pay for it. That was my end of the bargain. Thanks for the offer, though.

Partner, I was just looking at my game shelves to remind me of some exciting wargaming experience endings I can post that I've experienced from my start in the 70's on and saw my "FGSP43:Village Defensive Line and Map Expansion" shrink wrapped game.

I had ordered it under the East Front KS package and honestly am working through the EF scenarios first (see my on going posts). What caught my eye was that, true to word, Byron had actually inked a signature on it under the shrink wrap! Was the KS delayed? Yes. Explained? Yes. Delivered to the letter (even signature) Yes! Impressive commitment? Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:

You know, I went back and scrolled KS for a quick look and don't see where your minimal communication reference comes from. In fact it seems monthly. I know life realities were a real distraction but you seem to have a unique measure for communication. Please explain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lee for backing and for your kind words.

Gary, thanks, and man you've gotta up up that game. You'll be pleased with what it does for SP43.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posted a reveal on the Polyversal story we had in mind, from the UN perspective. This is part 1 of 2 of a story preview. Check it out here.

Polyversal does not lock you into a particular story or setting. You may generate your own background story, or simply play the game. We do have a story that sets the tone for the conflict we envisioned with Polyversal. It is set between a future, powerful UN that controls the technology required for mass evacuation from a dying Earth, and groups of Opposition Forces known as OPFOR who fight for those who may be left behind.

UN and OPFOR units face off on a city bridge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
kilarney wrote:
All good points. But keep in mind that the 16 month delay was for mere cards in a box. This game, having minis, brings the publisher into uncharted waters.

Kyle,

I had "supported" some simple mats by another publisher which I want to leave un-named. His KS promised that printing of the gaming - mats should start 3 month after the KS closed. Up til now - 3 years later he is still trying to fulfill his KS (step by step), claiming that his mats 3rd gen. are now much better than the inferior ones the delivered with the frist batch. Make your own mind about it.

My experience with Collins is a very positive one: I had bought his first Spearpoint game and the game arrived with one die (a D10) missing the top - looks like it was beheaded). He instantly offered to send me another SET OF DICE for free to the other side of the pond. I rejected since I have D10 a plenty - even when the dice were really nice

On the other hand concerning "customer friendly": I contacted Fantasy Flight Games for a new gameboard for Talisman since mine was worn out. I made this clear and wanted to pay for the board and shipping. The response: We don't sell single boards, if you want a new one buy a new game.

If I had to choose between the three of them I know which company I would prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.