Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No I have never heard the term, I have however seen this concept expressed, I am not even going to bother to tell you where as it should be obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Complete bullshit.
Not totally. There is no question that some men do get to sleep with other men's wives (and after divorce the former husbands still have to keep the ex wives).

There is however an issue with it's tone and attitude towards women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite thing I saw in MRA websites was when users debated two things:
1) is the Pope "alpha" or "beta"? DEBATE!
2) Did WWI result in deaths of alphas or betas? One idea is that betas have to die off to balance a population reproductively somehow, but someone who volunteers to go to war and do manly war stuff is clearly an alpha, so... CONUNDRUM! DEBATE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody isn't over their bitter divorce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually read about this issue so much that I found a great article explaining which primate species humans have the most in common with sexually, and why the alpha/beta paradigm does not work, because not enough people kill each other over relationships like gorillas do.

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2013/03/toxic-alpha-male/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
Bloody women forcing men into having sex with them for money and then having sex with other men for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
einsteinidahosu wrote:
My favorite thing I saw in MRA websites was when users debated two things:
1) is the Pope "alpha" or "beta"? DEBATE!

laugh

I can just imagine the comments on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I actually read about this issue so much that I found a great article explaining which primate species humans have the most in common with sexually, and why the alpha/beta paradigm does not work, because not enough people kill each other over relationships like gorillas do.

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2013/03/toxic-alpha-male/
Well that's one of the evils if big government because without laws beta makes could beat the crap out of alpha males to get mates....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
gu3sswho wrote:
But now you have me thinking if this was not created by an deep cover agent provocateur to incite hatred and resentment within the MGTOWs.

"Coals to Newcastle" comes to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gu3sswho wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Someone that uses the word "spelt" does not seem old enough to have had a bitter divorce. But now you have me thinking if this was not created by an deep cover agent provocateur to incite hatred and resentment within the MGTOWs.

You've never met an old bitter misogynist who can't spell? Because I've literally met hundreds. I am a construction worker, though. So there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
gu3sswho wrote:
Shushnik wrote:

Someone that uses the word "spelt" does not seem old enough to have had a bitter divorce. But now you have me thinking if this was not created by an deep cover agent provocateur to incite hatred and resentment within the MGTOWs.

You've never met an old bitter misogynist who can't spell? Because I've literally met hundreds. I am a construction worker, though. So there's that.
Ohh an Alpha Buil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The content itself is... meh. But what -does- fascinate me about it is the insight it gives into your chosen reading material.

So... is it helping you get laid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
gu3sswho wrote:
So you have met no woman with the AFBB mindset? I have not myself. It is a complete delusion in these guys heads?

that way of thinking is largely a result of sexual frustrations yes - funny tho that self-described "nice guys" then want to learn how to trick women into having sex with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
whats up with all the acronyms~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it bullshit? Sure.

But it's a really interesting look into the system of classification that people will create. If you're so hung up on sex and your own failure, you'll create a system to make it justifiable. Then you'll try to beat the system.

It's fucking pathetic, of course.

If you want to have sex with people you find attractive, make yourself attractive to them, and become a human who can handle rejection, rather than creating a false persona to protect you from rejection when it occurs.

If you believe every women who will sleep with you is doing it for your money while wanting to sleep with someone more attractive, there's this thing called self-fulfilling prophecy. It's a lot more direct here -- by being a judgmental controlling asshole who believes the worst of their partners, they'll damn well leave you, and rightly so.

It's an especially stupid acronym, though. If you use the term alpha, you aren't one. Also you're a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is unsurprising that such ideologies and ideas arise in the context of a monetary system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
The content itself is... meh. But what -does- fascinate me about it is the insight it gives into your chosen reading material.

So... is it helping you get laid?

That's kind of where I ended up. "wow, you just really revealed yourself to be whole-hog on this. No wonder you hate justice."

Edit: Also, wow@massive 'nice guy fallacy'

Double edit: Didn't notice that someone had already hit 'nice guy'.

Dammit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
gu3sswho wrote:
single sentences wrote:
gu3sswho wrote:
So you have met no woman with the AFBB mindset? I have not myself. It is a complete delusion in these guys heads?

that way of thinking is largely a result of sexual frustrations yes - funny tho that self-described "nice guys" then want to learn how to trick women into having sex with them

Even Al Capone thought of himself as a "nice guy".

i think that was "wiseguy"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
French Polynesia
flag msg tools
mb
Lots of people calling this bullshit but zero reasons why. Then plenty plenty of personal attacks on the person who posted the quoted paragraphs yet still no refutation of the concept.

It's not politically correct, that's for sure. Nor is it comfortable. But unless you have lived your life oblivious to any human interactions other than your own it's not possible to miss this sort of thing happening, as the quote indicates, from high school onward. You don't have to be bitter about an ex to understand how wide the variance in human relationships can be so it's hardly fair to dismiss this by random (and unwarranted?) attacks on the person asking the question or posing the topic for discussion.

I suspect the angry and irrational, even unschooled, reaction to this subject is more a function of people wanting to be socially acceptable in their communication rather than people who are bright enough to understand that not everything about human relationships was invented and taught in college starting 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

Requoting as a likely explanation of what's going on right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see RSP making that smooth transition to 'Reddit-esque cesspool.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
It is unsurprising that such ideologies and ideas arise in the context of a monetary system.

So, do you just not cash your paycheck every month? That's got to be so traumatizing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:
Lots of people calling this bullshit but zero reasons why. Then plenty plenty of personal attacks on the person who posted the quoted paragraphs yet still no refutation of the concept.

It's not politically correct, that's for sure. Nor is it comfortable. But unless you have lived your life oblivious to any human interactions other than your own it's not possible to miss this sort of thing happening, as the quote indicates, from high school onward. You don't have to be bitter about an ex to understand how wide the variance in human relationships can be so it's hardly fair to dismiss this by random (and unwarranted?) attacks on the person asking the question or posing the topic for discussion.

I suspect the angry and irrational, even unschooled, reaction to this subject is more a function of people wanting to be socially acceptable in their communication rather than people who are bright enough to understand that not everything about human relationships was invented and taught in college starting 30 years ago.

If you need someone to hold your hand and point out why MRA culture is reductio ad absurdum bullshit, you need a therapist, not a point-by-point logical response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling A wrote:

Once you see "alpha", the BS is obvious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.