Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recieved this game and haven't played it yet but I had a question about pass actions that I'm uncertain of.

The game includes five bonus Pass cards (including the Kickstarter exclusive one) and says you can choose which to include in players' starting decks.

Is including all of the cards a bad idea? I can imagine it may screw up the ratio of pass cards to building/district cards, and possibly alter the game's flow. Is the intention to only add a couple of extra cards? Or to swap cards instead of the existing basic ones?

Just looking for some advice from people who've played this a bit as to what works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike!

You can add or swap them around to taste, but I to keep Grubstake and Swift Justice in all the time. I personally like to play it with all of the Pass Actions at once... This makes the Pony Express Action Pool in Discovery and other card management buildings in Highgrade way more interesting.

Yes, it will dilute the odds of drawing building cards, but that is not a bad thing! "Optionality", as some call it, is good; in Hangtown it allows you to be more flexible with the yield outcomes.

Maybe leave them out on your first learning game, as it is a bit complicated, then go whole hog next time through.

I hope you dig it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of this last night and we all loved it. Took a bit longer than I'd expected (3 hours with 5 people), but it was engaging throughout.

I threw the Ace in the Hole and the Claim Jumper pass cards into everyone's decks as they seemed the more simple of the expansion cards, and we managed pretty well.

It's gonna take a few more games to figure out some strategies though. One player had all his Districts built, as well as the general town card for extra points for districts, and during the game I was sure he would win by miles but he ended up coming last!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm so that you guys had fun with it! It speeds up after you get into the flow, and get to know the cards more.

The Districts + County Seat strategy is viable, if they manage their cemetery well and get the Bell Tower out. Especially in the basic game.

Some fun Highgrade strategies to try are:

Building a big Workday money/card combo engine, and raking in tons of resources, then hitting the Market for big VP cards.

Using the cards that ensure you more Booms. And you benefit from simply being out of phase the whole game. It works wonders.

Go crazy with the Hangman's Tree and fill your cemetery with other players' Dudes. Pairing that with beating the Outlaw each round and the Court House is a good combo. Maybe not the best for making friends... haha

Build the Soda Works cards and then build mostly from the Market, "the brown card strategy".

Build the Studebaker card in the fist round, then build fast/cheap/out of phase pairing the Cary/Ivy House with your cards + being sure you end the game at the 4th round (with 12 cards in your tableau). You can sometimes catch the long arch players just in time to win with a lower overall score.

And many hybrids in between. It was a lot of fun playtesting all these mad scientist routes to victory. Let me know if you have any questions!

Happy gaming,
Jonny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.