Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the look of Battlestations 2e! I was curious, how's the competitive balance between the player team and the one Enemy Player? Is it like an RPG where the Enemy Player is trying to create an appropriate challenge to facilitate play (akin to being a GM), or is it more like the new Descent/Imperial Assault games where the Enemy Player is really trying to defeat the team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's like Classic D&D ... it depends on the GM, but you can't just let them win either. You play the enemies as best you can for the situation.

Let the dice and the players do themselves in! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is balanced in favor of the heroes winning more often than not but because of cloning, you don't have to pull punches as an enemy player. Go all out and let the chips fall where they may!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the rules in the quick start guide that you always get Prestige for being on a mission and +100 if you get killed. The only penalty is you don't get experience.

In the original versions of the game Prestige is "experience" for ranking up and the Experience you earned is "credits" for equipment and module upgrades.

This almost seems to provide a better benefit for dying (especially early in a career). Having only toyed with the v1.0 rules so far and not having seen the Advanced v2.0 rules. It appears this will still hold true? Why not die several times early on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
ourhero wrote:
The game is balanced in favor of the heroes winning more often than not but because of cloning, you don't have to pull punches as an enemy player. Go all out and let the chips fall where they may!

This is my experience with version one play, although the heroes often seem to win Pyrrhic victories.

I'm really looking forward to version two.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
robkoch2112 wrote:
Why not die several times early on?

Well, if everyone dies then you'll likely fail the mission, and thus miss out on the Success or Overwhelming Success bonuses.

But more importantly, Experience raises your skills without a matching Mission Difficulty increase. A crew that follows the constant-cloning strategy is going to have lower skills than a typical crew with the same ranks, and thus be ill-equipped to handle late-campaign missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Neal! Having not played more than a partial one off to get a feel for the old rules I'll admit I glossed over that detail. whistle

I reread that section from the original rules last night after I posted and realized that Exp is used to upgrade skills as well. Thant being cleared up: "Kids, don't die just for the Prestige. You clones will thank you later."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikiro Trio
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be the DM so I'm glad to let the players win. I'm writing the story now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sofge wrote:
robkoch2112 wrote:
Why not die several times early on?

Well, if everyone dies then you'll likely fail the mission, and thus miss out on the Success or Overwhelming Success bonuses.

But more importantly, Experience raises your skills without a matching Mission Difficulty increase. A crew that follows the constant-cloning strategy is going to have lower skills than a typical crew with the same ranks, and thus be ill-equipped to handle late-campaign missions.

While low skill is bad, more abilities (especially those not dependent on skills) helps out a lot. My view is that great abilities and luck make up for low (but not too low) skill.

Cheers,

(these from 1.1 Ed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andstrauss wrote:

While low skill is bad, more abilities (especially those not dependent on skills) helps out a lot. My view is that great abilities and luck make up for low (but not too low) skill.

Cheers,

(these from 1.1 Ed.)

At mission difficulty 2 or 3 that may be true. Once you get to Mission Difficulty 5+ the enemy crew stats outstrip what an extra skill or two will get you. You need to have improved your stats and hopefully gained some gear to keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
andstrauss wrote:

Cheers,

(these from 1.1 Ed.)

At mission difficulty 2 or 3 that may be true. Once you get to Mission Difficulty 5+ the enemy crew stats outstrip what an extra skill or two will get you. You need to have improved your stats and hopefully gained some gear to keep up.

I wanted to add that Plot Twist cards are a unique function of the Enemy in Second Edition, and now the Enemy has Luck options that were not available in prior editions. So I think this, coupled with the the rebranding of the "ref" into The Enemy, focuses players to really try their best to survive or (in the case of the Enemy) destroy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.