Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » General

Subject: Analysis paralaysis for deck building? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
Isn't 36 cards in a codex overwhelming to be constructing your deck on the other player's turn? Can you imagine if Dominion had 36 types of cards in front of you at the start of a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
No actually. Because you aren't really looking at 36 cards. It is unreasonable to choose any tech II or tech III stuff right away. Your first few turns will involve tech I or spells. You have 6 tech Is to choose from.

For spells, you can only have one hero in the game at a time before you get to the tech II level. Each hero has 4 spells, but one of those is an ultimate spell so it's would be pretty weird to star by getting that. So that's 3 spells per hero that aren't ultimate. You could say that's 9 spells to look through, but it's not a random 9 that's different every game. If you have, say, Midori on your team I think you'll be pretty familiar with this 3 non-ultimate spells pretty quickly. You're really picking which chunk you want to start with: the spells for hero1, 2, or 3.

Anyway at most that's 6 tech Is + 9 spells you'd be considering, but really it's more like 6 tech Is + "which one of these 3 heroes do I want? Hero1? Ok then there's really only 3 spells that go with them."

If you are later in the game and starting to get tech II stuff, you probably care a lot less about tech I stuff. So that's like 6 cards you now aren't looking at as much and how many more new ones? You have to pick one of 3 specs at tech II, and within a spec there's only 5 tech IIs. So still, that is really not an overwhelming number of things.

I think even the mention of Dominion has created the wrong framing overall here though. That implies it's some set of cards that are changing all the time, when really you'd become quite familiar with these cards precisely because they don't change all the time. And the Dominion example implies you're looking at ALL of them as reasonable choices at any given time, when as you can see, you'd only look at a subset at any given point in the game.

Finally, if this has to do more with a first experience with the game, as in the very first time you play there are all these cards to read, there is a built-in path to learning here. You can play the game in a mode where you control only 1 hero at a time. That's exactly how the Starter Set is (and you can ALSO play this 1 hero mode no matter which cards you have). In this mode, you only have 12 different cards you're building from (and 2 copies of each of those). And again, it's not looking at 12 at once because you wouldn't look at the tech II or tech III cards right off the bat, or the ultimate spell probably, so now you're down to just 5 cards to read.

Some people REALLY like the 1 hero mode because there's so few cards to familiarize yourself with, but you get to see how the whole system works. After playing that 3 times with 3 different heroes, it's pretty easy to combine all the same cards you just played into one 3-hero mode game. And then other people prefer to play the more in-depth mode from the start. I think it mostly has to do with how experienced people are with card games. But you have both options available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have not found it overwhelming though it is recommended to start with the 1 hero mode. If you have played any ccg style games before, I think it will be no problem for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not, I dove in with 3 heroes in the purple faction (pretty complex) and had no issues with selecting my cards each turn - all cards are not even remotely viable options (at a given situation) and are often ruled out by a particular path you've chose. The choices can be hard, but it's usually between heroes (should I go with this hero's spells or that one's) and tech paths (which level 2 specialization should I pick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DeLuxe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sirlin, I'm curious why you decided that players had to choose one tech path at tech 2. Is it precisely to keep decision-making reasonable, or to make players commit to a strategy, or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been said that this is in part to allow the other player to better know what type of defenses and counter might work against their strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I had the exact same worry until I tried the game myself! It turns out that, because of the prerequisites to be able to actually play given types of cards, for practical purposes you aren't choosing between all of the cards, but instead only a small subset each turn. It's definitely one of those things that seems a lot more daunting before you play it than after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very fact that you're doing it on your opponent's turn is a great, great thing. This way, your opponent doesn't have to wait for you, and you don't have to wait for him.

Your opponent has his fair share of things to ponder on his turn. He probably won't mind that you ponder a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.