Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's an idea we came up with while designing some investigator sheets to represent our Trail of Cthulhu characters. We added an effect that is triggered on a Reckoning. It usually requires a Test on a low-value skill, and the reward is small but useful. Haven't playtested it yet, but just wanted to share the idea for other designers. Here is an example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Aligato
Philippines
Quezon City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I noticed right away is that Mordecai's action ability is not mechanically correct (it works more like a passive ability, unless I'm missing something...).

The reckoning on an investigator is intriguing indeed, and you can get to add a reckoning symbol on the bottom right corner! But it kind of irks me that the character has three bullet points worth of abilities rather than just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a reckoning skill, maybe all investigators could have one. You could have a deck of reckoning skills which you draw from at the start of the game, maybe have a location where you might gain another. It could relate to the characters education, hobby or event in there life that is not directly related to there profession.

Better get the pad and pencil out and start making notes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Albert - Yeah, we noticed that when we started playing last night. I changed it. My homebrews are continual works in progress, so no one should assume that Mordecai is a well-designed or -balanced character. I posted him mostly to illustrate the idea.

Thanks for the feedback and sharp-eyed editing. Nice to know that someone is reading this stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demonm13 wrote:
But it kind of irks me that the character has three bullet points worth of abilities rather than just two.

I think this is the biggest issue for me. It just doesn't fit with the other investigators. If it was the only passive ability ("When performing personal reckonings, do X..."), it would work better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hard to know how to address this;

Is it an issue of making a Character too powerful with a 3rd possibly beneficial effect? (This is my assumption.)

I suppose I could weaken the Active and Passive abilities, or drop a skill by one point, or do some other handicapping. Balancing these characters has always been a bit difficult for me; I am trying to come up with Actives and Passives that are different from those already in use without making something that is too powerful. On the other hand, a lot of the later Investigators produced by FFG (cough, Daisy) seem to be Overpowered out of the gate.

I could also make the Reckoning effect itself balanced as in, "Test Lore; Gain 1 Clue for each success; lose 1 Sanity for each failure." So it is more of a mixed blessing.

I dunno. Just tryin' to have fun.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.