BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Banshee terrifying against Obscene Ferocity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Lei
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If Banshee attacks unit(let say Lord of Chaos). near Banshee stands Obscene.
Banshee throws heroic(Terrifying)

Obscene retreats, but doesn't use ferocity(doesn't counter) because it wasn't attacked in first place. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I interpret it. Interesting situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. In the explanation on the reference book p.4 it says "When a unit with the Ferocity ability is attacked,..." this suggests that the ferocity ability enters into play ONLY if the ferocious unit is directly attacked. Notice that the wording on the unit card is not clear on this respect. Interesting situation. Thank you for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the golden rule is that a card wording takes precedence over page 4. I would argue that the Obscene does get a counter before retreating because it is adjacent to the Banshee.

There is no reason to think that the Banshee nullifies Ferocity, why should it be so powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the "Counter" section at p.3 of the reference book, I understand that the counter is only possible if one unit is attacked. This is consistent with what specifically said in the "Ferocity" section. I don't think that the unit card contradicts the reference book here. By saying that the ferocious unit "may counter before retreat", the text on the card automatically implies that the unit had to be attacked before. Marc, you interpret it as saying "may attack an adjacent unit before retreat" and this sounds to me as Obscenely gracious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Ferocity is taken into account ONLY if the Obscene is directly attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good argument. thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
Ferocity is taken into account ONLY if the Obscene is directly attacked.

Right, because that's the only way it can Counter. It's the same situation as with the Riverwatch Riders. Obscenes can't use Ferocity against Riders before they retreat because Riders can't be Countered. Same thing here. If they can't Counter in the first place because they weren't attacked, they can't use Ferocity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.