5 Posts

Russian Front» Forums » Variants

Subject: Additional Variants for Axis victory in North Africa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the article entitled Russian Front Plus: Variants for the Latest Invasion, James Meldrum includes options for "Changed Italian Participation" in the game, adding Rommel and the Afrika Korps to the OOB as well as allowing for the option that Italy does not collapse in 1943.

I would like to offer two other options, both of which reflect an Axis victory in North Africa and increased Italian participation on the OstFront. Each provides further Italian aid, if ever so small, to the Axis side.

Axis Victory in North Africa - December 1941

Operation Crusader was a near-run conflict that, at various times, could have swung in favor of either side. This variant supposes an Axis victory followed by an advance, virtually unopposed, into Egypt. At that point, Hitler chooses to reinforce Rommel's Afrika Korps to attempt his dream of a huge pincer movement between it and the forces of Fall Blau to take the oil of the Caucasus and the Middle East.

Mussolini accepts Germany's request for additional troops (or he insists Italian honor must be represented on the East Front) and refits the 20th armored corps, adding it to the Turn 15 reinforcements. (I have included the alternate unit for the Italian Alpine forces here).

Axis Victory in North Africa - July 1942

Rommel's dash into Egypt following the surrender of Tobruk succeeds and Mussolini enjoys his entry into Alexandria on a white charger. Rommel is again kept in Africa in anticipation of Operation Torch but Mussolini withdraws the 20th armored corps and refits it in Italy with M 15s along with Semovente 75/34s and 105/25s. In April 1943, along with additional air assets, it moves to the East Front to take part in the upcoming Axis offensive (again, at Mussolini's insistence).

Two other options for players to enjoy or ignore as they see fit. Comments and critique are always welcome. (Note: the counters for these variants will be included in the Axis counter sheet in the uploads section once they are okayed by the Geek).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Their 'font' is difficult to read or discern for myself at least seeing them, while slight greater separation for the smaller ones could aid better overall viewing. BOLDED OUTLINE contrast with WHITE Unit ID information would also. Otherwise, very good! thumbsupcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the JPG images did not come out well at all in the post. The counters in the sheet are much clearer (note the comment I added concerning how "light" they appear as well). My apologies for the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Behrens
msg tools
I love thses "what would/could be" scenarios and I think this is a great way to simulate that. Although, would it be realistic ? I mean, even if the Axis would have conquered Egypt, would the Italiens really send there armored corps to the russian front?
Egypt wasn`t the end point, since the Allies would have the control over the near east as well as the Sudan. So , the Axis would still need many units to defend Egypt from attacks (or even press on till Basra/Persia in order to conquer the oil fields there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Henderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All very possible; we are dealing with "What If" stuff after all. However, we don't have maps for those possibilities and Mussolini was big on forcing himself into other people's business. He insisted that Italy take part in Fall Blau (Hitler was less enthused) and I can easily see him also insist that he get to send troops for Kursk.

Just as important, we have maps for that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.