6 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Cantrips vs Silver in terminal draw Big Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it reasonable to assume that a Big Money deck with a terminal draw benefits more from bulk Silver than from bulk cantrips (unless cantrips do something very useful to the deck)?

E.g., yesterday I played Chapel + Witch Big Money deck on a board with no +2 Action cards. There was also Market in the kingdom, but no good ways to spend extra buys. I decided that Silver will be just as good as Market in my deck, if not better, and didn't get any Markets. Unlike Markets, I cannot draw Silver dead with my Witch. Is that a reasonable play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
Th334 wrote:
Is it reasonable to assume that a Big Money deck with a terminal draw benefits more from bulk Silver than from bulk cantrips (unless cantrips do something very useful to the deck)?

E.g., yesterday I played Chapel + Witch Big Money deck on a board with no +2 Action cards. There was also Market in the kingdom, but no good ways to spend extra buys. I decided that Silver will be just as good as Market in my deck, if not better, and didn't get any Markets. Unlike Markets, I cannot draw Silver dead with my Witch. Is that a reasonable play?

Yes and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would expect that in your specific example, Silver is likely better, but not because you can't draw it dead. With Witches throwing curses around and presumably no trashing or other actions of note, your average treasure density can fall quite low. Market's expected value is $1 + average card in your deck, and if that average is <$1, then it's weaker than Silver - and it will be for a fair bit of time. Of course you do also get an extra buy from Market, and as you get later in the game, the average value does rise above $1, at which point Markets will be better. The danger of drawing actions dead depends a lot really on how much terminal draw you have. If you have a single Witch, probably Markets would be fine after getting a few Silvers. If you have 2 or more, or maybe a Witch and a Smithy, Market will be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I Eat Tables wrote:
and presumably no trashing or other actions of note
Th334 wrote:
E.g., yesterday I played Chapel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I Eat Tables wrote:
and presumably no trashing or other actions of note
Th334 wrote:
E.g., yesterday I played Chapel

blush I saw the Witch bit. Not the chapel bit. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1) Sort of.
2) No

Clarification: In big money+draw cantrips are usually bad because they can collide with your draw. However big money without draw, cantrips are fine since they can't collide. I'm thinking like BM+Montebank or the like.

However, in BM+Witch it is so so so super important to hit your witches that I'd say "fuck everything" and just go cantrips to hit witches more often. Getting a 6/4 split in your favor on curses is devastating, since those curses are dead cards all the time (not just when you draw them with witch). Your opponent having 2 more dead cards than you will win you the game.

Now Chapel, I wonder that Chapel+Witch BM is the best deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.