Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I was nominated Geek of the Week I thought of those who inspired me to be active in this community and to do video play throughs, etc. One of the very first people I turned to in order to learn a new game was "The Lonesome Gamer". I have watched his game play videos for years now and he was definitely and inspiration to me.

So without further ado:

Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is his story:

Quote:
I was born on the 21st of December 1973 in Augsburg in the south of Germany. At the age of twenty, I moved to Berlin to study history of arts, philosophy and archeology. In this way I gained a lot of completely useless knowledge and ended up as a guard in the Jewish Museum Berlin. The job is okay, without too much responsibility and trouble, but the salary is low. That’s the reason why I share my apartment in Kreuzberg with two other flatmates.
I loved playing board games since I was a little child. Because I was the only child, I played a lot solo. At that time, solitaire games were pretty rare, so I played different players all by myself. Games like Monopoly, Risk, Scotland Yard. . I played them all solo. I even changed places, if it was the next player’s turn.
In the early eighties, role playing games and adventure board games eventually entered the german market. I discovered Talisman and Dungeonquest and was absolutely blown away. I played these games for countless hours.
When I got older, board gaming wasn’t “cool” anymore. ..Some people did still role playing games, but nobody of my friends was in board gaming, so that seemed like the end of the story.
The only game I kept playing all through the years was chess, and I dare to say, I’m a pretty good player.
So the years passed by, and with a few exceptions of casual gaming (Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne), I didn’t roll a die anymore. But then, in my mid thirties, my eyes where caught by three games. These games were the beginning of my second gaming career: Space Hulk, Zombies!!! and Arkham Horror. I immediately fell in love with the hobby again and realised that I rediscovered something that I was looking for many years without knowing how badly I was missing it.
My collection was growing rapidly as I discovered Boardgamegeek as an unbelievable valuable source for absolutely everything concerning boardgaming.
Inspired by calandales‘ fabulous playthrough videos (still by far the best in my opinion), after a few years, I decided to start my own YouTube channel, focusing completely on solo gaming.
What I love most about my YouTube experience was the feedback of all you people out there, and I realised what a great community there is. So thanks for all the support through the years.

Poll
Can you spot the lie?
I tend to sleep standing in the corner while at my job.
I´m looking for lost Nazi treasures diving in the lakes near Berlin.
I smoked pipe when I was twenty.
      151 answers
Poll created by Dougmysticeye

I will get the ball rolling with some questions for the Lonesome Gamer:

1What was your favorite video series that you created?
2What inspired you to do your recent group of plays on historical games?
3If you could only have two games, one being Arkham Horror, what would the other one be?
4Is there an origin story for the massive table you have your games on?
5What is the most difficult game you have tried to do a play through for?

Well, Callasmar, my time in the sun is done so I pass the torch to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look at my Binoculars
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice Doug.

Congratulations Johannes. Have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally!!! Really great choice, Doug!

Congrats, Johannes - really deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Johannes!

During your second discovery of boardgames, what was your first solitaire game that you bought? Do you still enjoy playing it?

Bonus questions: why don't you have an avatar?

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Johannes! Enjoy your Week as Chief Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:
Poll
Can you spot the lie?
I tend to sleep standing in the corner while at my job.
I´m looking for lost Nazi treasures diving in the lakes near Berlin.
I smoked pipe when I was twenty.
      151 answers
Poll created by Dougmysticeye

wow hoo a multi-choice poll... definitely picked the lie on this one! (given I could vote for all 3 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice. I love Lonesome Gamer videos - especially the little tantrums when things don't go his way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Can't believe Johannes hasn't been GotW yet.

Thanks so much for all of your videos. They were some of the first I got into and really enjoyed after finding the hobby and, of course, getting into solo gaming. You were the first to show me how great solo board games could be.

Best wishes and congratulations.

Thank you.
Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe Vind
Denmark
Juelsminde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The back to back choice of Doug and Johannes is the best combo in a VERY long time. Congrats to both of you, and hats off for your fantastic endeavor through all your games and beyond. Please keep up your journey to show us common boardgamers how to play and sometimes not to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Johannes! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sheppard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call Doug! thumbsup

Congratulations Johannes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Brambrink
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Congratulations Johannes... I watched nearly all of you videos

Keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:

I will get the ball rolling with some questions for the Lonesome Gamer:

1What was your favorite video series that you created?
2What inspired you to do your recent group of plays on historical games?
3If you could only have two games, one being Arkham Horror, what would the other one be?
4Is there an origin story for the massive table you have your games on?
5What is the most difficult game you have tried to do a play through for?

Well, Callasmar, my time in the sun is done so I pass the torch to you!

Thanks Doug...I feel really honoured

So...I´m gonna try to answer your questions, although I´ll probably won´t be able to pick only one whistle

1 Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients was great because I was the first one who did it (as a backer I received an early copy) and it was such a hype. Still my most successful video. I also love my Runebound (Second Edition) videos...the game has a great fan base. Finally Fields of Fire was cool, because it was such a challenge not to mess up the rules completely and to try to explain it properly.

2 I love history and I love calandale´s playthroughs...he mainly does historical games. So it´s an obvious project to do a chronological walkthrough, right?

3Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) , because the replayability is amazing.

4 Actually it´s not that massive. I often find big wooden boards in front of my appartement block. I combine them in different ways to get the right size. It´s very useful when doing a longer video series, that I can go away from a game to another board and play something else there.

5 Fields of Fire...by far. But I see some much harder ones far away at the horizon...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice! Gongrats Johannes!

Callasmar's videos were the first playthroughs I ever watched.

Basically he helped me learn my first heavier games, were I struggled with the rules.
Like Ghost Stories, Space Hulk Death Angel Card Game, Eldritch Horror, Robinson Crusoe.
Never could have done it without him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TomTi89 wrote:
Congrats!

1 What type of food do you enjoy the most?
2 Is there a country you think produces the best food?
3 What do you eat when gaming?
4 Is there any food you enjoy, that most people don't like?
5 And finally...is there anything you can recommend to us? Perhaps an interesting recipe, or something unique to your country?

Before I answer that, I have to admit, that my food culture is horrible...and I feel really ashamed because of it. No time for cooking, only fast food and frozen shit. gulp

1 Overall Asian food...possibly Korean. Also Chinese, Japanese, Vietnam, all that stuff
2 Italy!
3 When gaming alone, nothing...I´m completely in the game. When gaming with others, people usually bring chips and sweeties...and often we order a pizza.
4 Nope...I have a pretty common taste I guess...maybe some real hot Asian food.
5 Again, I´m afraid I´m the last person you should ask anything about cooking. soblue If you get the chance, try Maultaschen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maultasche). You can do all kinds of things with it and it tastes great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Congrats Johannes thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

I have to say that I'm really excited about this nomination for you because when my first daughter was born I would stay up late at night holding her on the couch and she would fall asleep on me. While I sat there I enjoyed endless episodes of the "lonesome gamer" which really filled my time and brought me full swing into solo gaming. Without your efforts on those videos I wouldn't have had the same experience with the hobby. So, this is well deserved! Here's to you... Prost!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:

During your second discovery of boardgames, what was your first solitaire game that you bought? Do you still enjoy playing it?

Bonus questions: why don't you have an avatar?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim!
My first real solo game (if you don´t count Arkham Horror as a coop)was actually Chainsaw Warrior and I still love it!
It was also my first playthrough...
Not sure about the Avatar...never really thought about it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
Congratulations!

I have to say that I'm really excited about this nomination for you because when my first daughter was born I would stay up late at night holding her on the couch and she would fall asleep on me. While I sat there I enjoyed endless episodes of the "lonesome gamer" which really filled my time and brought me full swing into solo gaming. Without your efforts on those videos I wouldn't have had the same experience with the hobby. So, this is well deserved! Here's to you... Prost!

Kevin

This is a wonderful story wich really brings tears into my eyes! blush
This is very,very much encouraging and I´ll remember it next time I feel bad! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Johannes, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Johannes, I am truly indebted to you for your excellent contributions here. Thank you so much, and I'm glad you're being honored this week!

-Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations, Johannes!

waiting for the "fields of fire vol. 2"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Johannes!

Whats the best game you've ever only played once?

Whats the best game you've ever only played twice?

Whats the best game you've ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.