Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Best Imperial Class Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew LIskowycz
msg tools
So I'm about to start the Hoth campaign and I also have the twin shadows stuff to mix in so I'm trying to pick which class deck I should use. I used Military Might in my first play through and want to try one of the new 3 for this campaign. What do you guys think is the best to pick? I'm leaning towards the precision training because focusing fire always seems like the best strat but some of the cards in armored onslaught seem pretty good too. I didn't find myself making much use of droids or heavy weapons much in the last campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Precision Training is the one I'll be picking for the Return to Hoth campaign. But that is because it seems interesting, not because it would necessarily be the most effective. In general rerolls are very powerful, so I have high hopes for it.

I have played Military Might twice, Technological Superiority, and started Twin Shadows with Inspiring Leadership. I have played against Subversive Tactics (core campaign PBF and Twin Shadows IRL), which is perhaps the most frustrating for the rebels, and it can take too long to learn how to play against it. So, there are good cards in each, and the way you play the campaign will be affected by which class deck you selected. Choose the one that you think will suit your playstyle the best.

And which heroes are selected also affects how each class deck works against them, and which class cards you should get first.

Only after playing a campaign with a class deck you know the best ways to use or not to use the class deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only used Military Might in the Core Campaign and I am 4/5ths way through Twin Shadows with Subversive Tactics.

My Rebel player is really struggling with Subversive Tactics and taking away a lot of his strain capabilities. It's sneaky and fun for me, but I am not sure the rebel player is enjoying this campaign so much. He is frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Deaton
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I really enjoy technological superiority. There is one ability in there that lets you replace one die on any attack made by any figure with a red die, super useful when you have a ton of stormtroopers. The jetpack is also a really neat card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew LIskowycz
msg tools
I think I'm going to pick subversive tactics, just finished the main campaign and lost. It seems like late in the game the rebel abilities are just so overpowering that you really need to force them to strain out and work around what your doing more to win. Fenn and Diala were taking out entire squads of eST in 1 activation. I went kinda light on them and it bit me in the butt lol. If I see they pick characters without strain heavy abilities I might go with one of the Hoth ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put one in for Inspiring Leadership, my PBF game SWIA018 has gone relatively well for me, especially as I've learned to master the core skill (imo) of the deck, 'Strategic Planning'. Skip 'press on', just blast right for 'Field General' and the aforementioned 'Strategic Planning'.

Field Officer and Field general give a stormtrooper squad a lot of mobility and/or firepower, can give an officer 2 orders, one normal, one executive, and generally keeps your options open.

Strategic Planning
Literally requires some strategic planning, pick your open groups carefully and you can spend an entire mission with a big smile on your face as the rebels struggle with really really hard choices because no exhausted card is really exhausted...

Supervisory Agent
I got this card around the same time as the 'internal affairs' agenda so I always got to add an officer to my hand for free and then deploy it for free, whats not to love? I don't think I would have bought it if I hadn't had internal affairs first though.

Press On
This is poopy, would not recommend at all. I've used it maybe 5 times in 9 missions and you can use it every round...rebels are just too thorough about all-killing stormy squads.

Will probably finish out the campaign with 'Lead by example' if only because it is a more flexible skill compared to 'Optimal Tactics'. I think the true strength of this deck is in forcing the rebels into bad decisions. Your army will feel weak, but it is fast and flexible. If that sounds like your jam, you'll probably love this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.