Holy Roman Empire: The Thirty-Years War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Cheverton
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just bought this game and after a long first playthough, had a few questions about combat.

We were a little confused on how combat works. The rules say you roll dice per unit/stack, so does that mean if I have a stack with 6 units do I roll 6 dice, or do I roll 1 die. Also the bonus to a roll, do I count the bonus for the entire army every time I roll for each unit?

We played it where every chit gets to roll a single d6 and they each get the combat bonus of the whole stack, which created extremely lethal combats when large armies came up against each other. This forced everyone to buy whole new armies pretty much every turn, so we never really had money for bidding and bribing.

This created situations where certain alliances became unbeatable, as they could bring multiple armies to one fight and have way more "wounds" worth of lower value units before having to remove stronger ones.

Apart from that we really enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Austin Cheverton wrote:
We played it where every chit gets to roll a single d6 and they each get the combat bonus of the whole stack, which created extremely lethal combats when large armies came up against each other.

Apart from that we really enjoyed the game.

Each unit rolls for its own hits, but each leader/artillery unit can only be assigned to a single unit to affect that unit's roll. Rule 18 covers the details of the Field Combat aspect of the game. Also please note that ConsimWorld is where you can find a link to the updated rules (currently v1.4). You can find the HRE forum under Boardgaming -> Era: Gunpowder -> Pre-Napoleonic.

Glad that you enjoyed yourselves despite the "variant" system you were using.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Diaz-Arce
Spain
Sopela
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Navigating CSW for BGG users (like meself) can be hard.

HRE's the link:

HRE in CSW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agree - it's a single thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.