Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

1714: The Case of the Catalans» Forums » Rules

Subject: First session - more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Concession cards – if you play them, you pay with levels of WF, but if you do not play, but discard them, you gain resources according to the value of the card, correct?

Timing of Bourbon defeat – When we added the Late War cards, there were less than 20 Bourbon troops on the map, but no Late War cards had been placed yet.
We said the Late War had not started yet and continued playing, guess that’s correct.
What if during a Late War round there are less than 20 Bourbon troops, but some more are recruited later during this round? Does the game end or not?
I think not – and the rules should say “if 20 Bourbon troops remain … at the end of a game round.”

Cards – Negotiations of the Hague
“… draw another goal card randomly.”
From your own country’s or any country’s?

Political Change Whigs-Tories
Same question.

Agreement of L’Hospitalet
“If Treaty … and Treaty … have been played …”
What exactly means “have been played” … have been played when, who can and how can you remember this?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat
Belgium
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:
Concession cards – if you play them, you pay with levels of WF, but if you do not play, but discard them, you gain resources according to the value of the card, correct?


Yes, but this can only happen with the 3 Concessions in the draw pile.

lucyfer wrote:

Timing of Bourbon defeat – When we added the Late War cards, there were less than 20 Bourbon troops on the map, but no Late War cards had been placed yet.
We said the Late War had not started yet and continued playing, guess that’s correct.
What if during a Late War round there are less than 20 Bourbon troops, but some more are recruited later during this round? Does the game end or not?
I think not – and the rules should say “if 20 Bourbon troops remain … at the end of a game round.”


Yes, the key here is that the condition must be met "at the end of a game round.”

lucyfer wrote:

Cards – Negotiations of the Hague
“… draw another goal card randomly.”
From your own country’s or any country’s?

Political Change Whigs-Tories
Same question.


Only from your country in both cases.

lucyfer wrote:

Agreement of L’Hospitalet
“If Treaty … and Treaty … have been played …”
What exactly means “have been played” … have been played when, who can and how can you remember this?



It means "played for its text". In both cases, if those cards are played, they are removed from play, so by checking the removed cards it's easy to know if those cards have been played.


I hope you had fun with the gaming session!

Ivan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alkarion wrote:
[q="lucyfer"]Concession cards – if you play them, you pay with levels of WF, but if you do not play, but discard them, you gain resources according to the value of the card, correct?


Yes, but this can only happen with the 3 Concessions in the draw pile.


Thanks for your fast reply, as always, Ivan!

This raises another question - why can this only happen with those 3 Concessions in the draw pile?
Maybe we played something wrong, then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucyfer wrote:
alkarion wrote:
[q="lucyfer"]Concession cards – if you play them, you pay with levels of WF, but if you do not play, but discard them, you gain resources according to the value of the card, correct?


Yes, but this can only happen with the 3 Concessions in the draw pile.


Thanks for your fast reply, as always, Ivan!

This raises another question - why can this only happen with those 3 Concessions in the draw pile?
Maybe we played something wrong, then.


That's because it is only those three concessions where you get to decide between taking them or using them for their points. With all the 15 concessions that come from the concessions deck, you don't get to choose whether you "use" them for action points or for scoring. You only get to choose (in turn order) which of the concessions you take.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks for that explanation, already guessed so after Ivan's answer ... so you have to take a Concession, have to lose WF ... probably historically correct, but a drawback concerning gameplay, imho.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat
Belgium
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Concession Dealing phase on the rules, happening three times in a game, to see how the Concessions marked with a quill and ink set are dealt.

The reason behind this is to represent the negotiations between the Allies and the Bourbons that took place all over the war, and especially on the last years. The Allies, been granted some possessions by the Bourbons, gradually withdrew from the war, leaving just the Catalans fighting till the end to have an Habsburg king (who will respect their laws) instead of accepting a Bourbon king (with an absolutist rule).

cry


Ivan

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinand Köther
Germany
Bochum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks for your comment, Ivan, what I thought, historically correct, but maybe for gameplay it wouldn't be bad to have some more WF, it's hard to regain it - we'll see how the next session goes, now knowing somewhat better hot the game works overall.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason why the 15 concession cards don't have unique backs to more easily distinguish them from the goal and tactical cards (draw pile). And why not three different backs to distinguish the early, mid and late war?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Is there a reason why the 15 concession cards don't have unique backs to more easily distinguish them from the goal and tactical cards (draw pile). And why not three different backs to distinguish the early, mid and late war?


You wouldn't want different backs for early-mid-late war because they get shuffled in together. You shouldn't know which deck the next drawn card will come from.

But making the cards a little easier to differentiate on the front sides would make for easier post-game sorting...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
lucyfer wrote:
When we added the Late War cards, there were less than 20 Bourbon troops on the map, but no Late War cards had been placed yet.
We said the Late War had not started yet and continued playing, guess that’s correct.


I wonder if this paragraph hints that taking the first french unit from the late war cards activate immediately the late war period:
" When the game moves forward to the next period, the cards of the new period are added to the deck and Concessions are dealt. " - from rulebook chapt 1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat
Belgium
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpentium wrote:
lucyfer wrote:
When we added the Late War cards, there were less than 20 Bourbon troops on the map, but no Late War cards had been placed yet.
We said the Late War had not started yet and continued playing, guess that’s correct.


I wonder if this paragraph hints that taking the first french unit from the late war cards activate immediately the late war period:
" When the game moves forward to the next period, the cards of the new period are added to the deck and Concessions are dealt. " - from rulebook chapt 1


Yes. At the moment the First french unit from the Mid and Late war boxes is recruited (be it by some card's text or by the Bourbon Recruit phase), the new period begins and those cards are added to the deck.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Ivan for the clarification.
I added some notes to my manual from the FAQ, and I was able to let my father 65yo play it, even without knowing any english text. It is beautiful, gorgeous light wargame with euro mechanic, I just love it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.