Thrash'n Roll» Forums » General

Subject: Scoring Problems/Concerns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carolyn Palmer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My husband and I were SOOOOO excited to try this game as we are both musicians and there are almost no games out there with this theme. Once we got past confusion with the rules, we enjoyed ourselves. But the end game scoring killed it for me. It feels like end game scoring is extremely unbalanced, and we end up lapping the board multiple times and player scores aren't anywhere close to each other. Does anyone else feel this way? Are we doing something wrong, or is there a large chunk of strategy we're missing? Has anyone else come up with their own house rules for end game scoring to make things more balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the change from the original scaling of the scoring for the band members (which is evident from the rulebook to the player aid). Otherwise I didn't think it was that exorbitant compared to the rest of the game.

I am puzzled that only your best album scores...there really is no impetus to record a second album...it would generally be a total waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Palmer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
garry_rice wrote:

I am puzzled that only your best album scores...there really is no impetus to record a second album...it would generally be a total waste of time.

Exactly, I feel like touring got you WAY more points than making albums. I get that each round only the highest albums/singles get points, but it seems like for endgame each album should be worth some points. I saw someone post on another thread that they houserule that all albums are worth points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a complaint that I have seen pop up multiple times. My wife and I also found the scoring to be very strange at the end of the game. The points you receive from each band member are just way too high in my opinion. Also the points you gain from touring and the lack of points for additional albums seems very strange.

I'm sure this could be easily addressed by adjusting the scoring in the game. Sadly, with so many other great games to play on my shelves I am finding it very difficult to take the time to "adjust" this game to suit my tastes. This work should be done by the development team, not the customers who purchased the game.

I loved the theme and liked the dice placement mechanisms, fan cards, etc. However, my wife said she had no interest in ever playing again because she didn't feel that it was a fully playtested and finished product. Sadly, I don't know if this one will ever get played again at my house. I hold out hope that the designer or another good soul on BGG will totally rework the scoring. Until then, it stands as another (in a long line) of cautionary kickstarter tales for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have concerns on the scoring, the tour feels high and the end game awards and final turbo tour swing it. Albums are just left behind. I also feel that at the end everyone is doing maths when it should be simpler to work out who is the winner.

I have been working on a solo variant and the big changes are scandal card effects occur at the end of each round, some locations are shut until you do other actions, and the end game you score albums and single positions and then have a battle of the bands (compares music skill, equipment and all skill tokens and you gain the difference.

I am also bringing in event cards which include the trashoscar awards, pirate radio, sales slumps, closures, contracts etc. These are drawn at the beginning of the game and are all face up so you can see what event will happen each round and gives you time to prepare.

But it is a fun game to play with 4 metal heads, those fans crack me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could try playing with the final scoring rules mentioned in the draft rule book for the band members instead of the player aid...it's a good deal less (10-6-2 versus 20-12-6). Still a tidy sum of points, but not nearly as critical.

I have no issue with everyone getting to perform a final tour as everyone has an equal chance to prepare for that throughout the game.

I still enjoyed the game and would play again...I just agree the scoring hasn't been developed properly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Palmer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We've played a few more times and it seemed to get better as we went along, must have been our own hangups with not fully realizing how beneficial certain tasks could end up being. Still don't like the circling the board multiple times but as someone mentioned, that's easily fixed with some homemade 100 markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dijkmans
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played : Skip the last tour, 10-6-2 instead of 20-12-6 at the Trash'oScar Award and let every singel and album count. It seems better, only one try :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paddeltje wrote:
We played : Skip the last tour, 10-6-2 instead of 20-12-6 at the Trash'oScar Award and let every singel and album count. It seems better, only one try :-)

I understand everything but the last point. Awarding points for all albums and singles is prioritising quantity over quality. I prefer to see the best albums of each group rewarded.

I wouldn't be averse to adding a 10-6-2 bonus to the best 3 albums as well, in keeping with the rest of the end of game bonuses. However, there seems to be just enough bonuses for the best albums and singles, given throughout the game (15-18 for each in a 6 round game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have just completed our third game and we have been very disappointed. All the more so as this is a very good attempt to reproduce the excitement of the pop world.

Yes, the scoring is way off.

I disagree with the last correspondent. If you have more hits, that must be better than a one hit wonder.

We are in agreement with the 10-6-2 points for the Awards ceremony.

Yes, score all the singles and albums as per the points on the individual tracks.

The points for Turbo On Tour also seem to be too generous although it is not easy to have the dice to take this action.
Maybe it would be fairer to omit the die roll. Although not a big difference, it would help. Has anyone got any better ideas for this?

There is somehow something lacking in this game and I can't put my finger on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im still waiting for my copy so everything is conjecture at this point.

The reason I believe it is better to reward one good album better than several poor ones, is that this encourages strategy. Players who fully utilise Anty Radio, Venom Nest, Metal Mind and the Tours to incrementally increase the ranking of their albums and singles are spending a lot of varied resource, in the sprit of the game. For me it is totally right that an album at 12 in the charts should score way more than two poor albums dumped at the bottom of charts. However, a couple of poor albums may score more than a talented hit using the points ranking system that is available.

In terms of the "one hit wonder", I think that it's better to view the game as one year in the Music industry and not as a lifetime achievement. That way, one great album with a good single or two, is a great achievement for a new promising band.

If you are going to score all albums then that's fine if you implement a suitable scoring system that scores them lower or add bonuses to the better albums. Which is why I suggest introducing a 10-6-2 end of game bonus for albums as well.

Like many here I also have concerns about the high end of game scoring. It does not seem proportional to all the actions that take place beforehand. That is unless you can accept that most of what you do is in preparation for a mega end game showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Vejrum
United Kingdom
Richmond
Surrey
flag msg tools
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
badge
London On Board - the largest semi-organised group of boardgaming dicks in the known universe.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are lapping the board multiple times, you are probably doing something wrong - probably using fan cards far too cheaply:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21682949#21682949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stephen,

It will be great when you can actually get the game and play it.

Maybe your views might change.

We have played 3 games.

Under the current scoring, recording multiple singles has no benefit, so I am not certain of your thinking about recording one good album and a couple of singles.

There are so many great games and this is unfortunately not one of them!

It is a pity because there are many good ideas here, but clearly not playtested properly.

Soren,

We are playing the game properly and scores of 200 + are commonplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kred raiders
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can report that we have played a further 3 games with my suggested revised scoring.
I should add that we are playing the 2 player version.

It has resulted in only a slight improvement.

It does give you another location to concentrate on in the closing rounds. So there is not so much focus on Venom Nest Broken Bone.

So a new strategy is offered to record albums to gain some good points.

The scores still exceed 150 points and it really doesn't make an average game great.

If anyone else has any ideas, i would like to hear from them.

What a shame that we are having to do the work of the designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added the Rising Fame variant to help shift the points heavy end of game scoring which I feels helps a little.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22371322#22371322

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddeltje wrote:

how many players was that game? cause I'm thinking about houseruling our next 4p game.

+ what do u mean every single and album count? Each album always scores 1pt despite of how good it is. And how do you score ALL singles? Maybe 1pt for each just like albums and then extra points for the best ones?

I'm definetely skipping the last tour - don't see any point of extending play time by that much math

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.