Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Would you recommend Ticket to Ride to experienced gamers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noximilien l’horloger
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi folks,

Just a quick question. I'd consider myself and my group to be experienced gamers and have games such as the Pandemic, Zombicide, Sentinels of the Multiverse series, Letters from Whitechapel, BSG as well as X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and Netrunner between us, to name but a few in our shared collection. Interestingly, we've no Euro style games.

I've recently been looking into Ticket to Ride (reading reviews, looking at Tabletop etc) and I notice it's recommended as a good game for beginners and as a gateway game.

Can anyone recommend it or have any opinions on whether it's worth picking up for a group of more experienced gamers?

Thanks in advance for any and all input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a fun game for all levels of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Yes, it is a fun game for all levels of gamers.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garner

Summerville
South Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to play all the old Avalon Hill Box games when I was younger. Battletech, AD&D and other games like those. I love Ticket to Ride. Great game to have fun and laugh. I have a lot of the extra maps too. The newest map the United Kingdom and Pennsylvania are awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should work. Just be wary of "control freaks", or folks who don't like a lot luck in their games. Some I talked with have a belief that those who start off with more locos, or the east-west Destination Tickets have an advantage right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a heavy game by any means, but still eminently playable by any level of gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: absolutely!

ackmondual wrote:
It should work. Just be wary of "control freaks", or folks who don't like a lot luck in their games. Some I talked with have a belief that those who start off with more locos, or the east-west Destination Tickets have an advantage right there.

Well, 1910 makes the base game much more skill-based and mostly eliminates such issues. And most of the expansion maps are very well-balanced as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ticket to Ride is enjoyable by any and all. I personally enjoy it quite a bit. However, it NEVER gets played among the experienced gamers I play with. My copy only gets played when skeptical or low-experience gamers are afoot.

-It's not very deep, though your choices are often grueling--games are always tense at our house. I sweat more playing this game than while playing any other I own.
-It's not all that short for what it is, unless everyone you're playing with is fairly experienced at it.
-I find that even I usually prefer to play something else among experienced gamers--that is, something which offers more depth and complexity. Who else are you going to play all those other awesome games with??

I think it's fair to say that Ticket to Ride is to designer board games as Monopoly is to main stream board games.

MD1616 wrote:
...1910 makes the base game much more skill-based...

While I love the addition of 1910, I'm having a hard time seeing how it makes the base game more skill-based. Though admittedly, I've never considered this before.

To the OP: If you get the game, 1910 is a must buy as well, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Marcil
Canada
Leduc
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
However, it NEVER gets played among the experienced gamers I play with. My copy only gets played when skeptical or low-experience gamers are afoot.

This is also how I see TtR being played in my house.

dbolyard wrote:

-I find that even I usually prefer to play something else among experienced gamers--that is, something which offers more depth and complexity.

Ditto on this for me too.

I only play it if my girls beg me to play. I would not wish it upon any experienced gamer as I personally found it extremely boring after the first couple of plays, so much so that I would rather play Monopoly.

However, I apparently am in the minority since TtR gets lots of love from most people willing to speak about it. So YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
I think Ticket to Ride is enjoyable by any and all. I personally enjoy it quite a bit. However, it NEVER gets played among the experienced gamers I play with. My copy only gets played when skeptical or low-experience gamers are afoot.

-It's not very deep, though your choices are often grueling--games are always tense at our house. I sweat more playing this game than while playing any other I own.
-It's not all that short for what it is, unless everyone you're playing with is fairly experienced at it.
-I find that even I usually prefer to play something else among experienced gamers--that is, something which offers more depth and complexity. Who else are you going to play all those other awesome games with??

I think it's fair to say that Ticket to Ride is to designer board games as Monopoly is to main stream board games.

Not my experience at all (on any of those counts, really).

dbolyard wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
...1910 makes the base game much more skill-based...

While I love the addition of 1910, I'm having a hard time seeing how it makes the base game more skill-based. Though admittedly, I've never considered this before.

To the OP: If you get the game, 1910 is a must buy as well, in my opinion.

In the base game, in most cases the only workable strategy is to take as many 5s and 6s as possible and to make 20s. A poor starting ticket draw can be really rough. With 1910 (playing the mega game), getting lots of tickets and not going for big routes is a totally viable strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noximilien wrote:
Can anyone recommend it or have any opinions on whether it's worth picking up for a group of more experienced gamers?

I can't dispute that everyone so far thinks it is playable, but for more experienced starters I would probably shift to Europe, or perhaps Nordic (restricted to 3 players).

and here's the reason I myself decline the original as often as I politely am able,
ackmondual wrote:
Some I talked with have a belief that those who start off with ... the east-west Destination Tickets have an advantage right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Noximilien wrote:

I can't dispute that everyone so far thinks it is playable, but for more experienced starters I would probably shift to Europe, or perhaps Nordic (restricted to 3 players).

and here's the reason I myself decline the original as often as I politely am able,
ackmondual wrote:
Some I talked with have a belief that those who start off with ... the east-west Destination Tickets have an advantage right there.

Try the new maps of United Kingdom and Pennsylvania. They give the game a little more meat to its bones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noximilien wrote:
Hi folks,

Just a quick question. I'd consider myself and my group to be experienced gamers and have games such as the Pandemic, Zombicide, Sentinels of the Multiverse series, Letters from Whitechapel, BSG as well as X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and Netrunner between us, to name but a few in our shared collection. Interestingly, we've no Euro style games.

I've recently been looking into Ticket to Ride (reading reviews, looking at Tabletop etc) and I notice it's recommended as a good game for beginners and as a gateway game.

Thanks in advance for any and all input

It's definitely a good game for all levels of gamers. We still break it out every month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The online game using an Elo rating system...just like what they use for chess players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is one of my favorite games, but as some have mentioned here I don't usually play it with my experienced gamer friends. I'd actually recommend Splendor for experienced gamers because they have the same feel. In both games, it's all about optimizing your turn to figure out when you want to pick up cards/chips, or spend cards/chips. Splendor is a game I play with both non-gamers and gamers...although it could just be Splendor's newness as a reason why I'm playing it with experienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xanofere wrote:
I would rather play Monopoly.
Sure you would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have loved TTR from the very start. It got better and better with the 1910 and mystery train expansions and some great ideas from fan-made games like Sardinia. I started adding cards and rules to these and started making my own games. Mine are relatively crude due to lack of software and the knowledge to use it - and also to keep printing costs down. However I try to make each one different to the others with new twists.
One great new rule is the ability to dump your entire starter set of cards and draw new ones BUT you must keep them ALL!
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wouldn't recommend it to experienced gamers as it is likely to be a step down in meaningful decision making and depth, while in no way being a filler.

A solid game all the same.

Ps :

Oh if you're not used to 'euros' then this is a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:

ackmondual wrote:

Well, 1910 makes the base game much more skill-based and mostly eliminates such issues. And most of the expansion maps are very well-balanced as well.
Worth noting that such comments were directed towards 1910... not just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

ackmondual wrote:

Worth noting that such comments were directed towards 1910... not just the base game.

Yes, and I'm saying that that might be true for Vanilla but definitely not with 1910.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I would...especially if there are a lot of expansion maps available...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real answer here is that it depends on who it is. I don't see that being experienced gamers has anything to do with it. Granted, if you have non-gamers it's a good thing to play. But it doesn't mean experienced players would dislike it. But they might.

I know a lot of people who like it. I play mostly different type games than you do, so I can't really relate to those very well. I think one question is if the group plays those games because that's really what they enjoy and would otherwise not play, or that just happens to be what they got exposed to and may be open to other things. It's been brought up the idea that's why you play with your experienced friends - sure, if people are playing easier family oriented games at home (or another group), they might not want to do it with your group.

Do you know anyone you can borrow it from, or a store with open games, so that you can try it out and see what they think? Perhaps that's a retarded question as you've likely already thought of that. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pap Qaq
United States
Park City
Utah
flag msg tools
No. It has a boring initial phase followed by some minor skill battles in the middle and endgames. It's very luck driven. I think experienced gamers generally find it some combination of trivial, boring, and irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p1q0 wrote:
No. It has a boring initial phase followed by some minor skill battles in the middle and endgames. It's very luck driven. I think experienced gamers generally find it some combination of trivial, boring, and irritating.

Try some of the fan expansions - they are much more skill based
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.