Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
some cards say "if killed in a Raid"...well, how do they die? and the whole "Raid" action is weird? you don't choose/risk which of the "plunder/reward" options you're going for, you just roll and then see what you get? (no risk there)

suppose you don't roll high enough to get any, which Viking do you take back?

to me, if you Raid you should:

- have to choose, before rolling, which you're option/reward you're going for
- if you lose, all your crew is dead/killed (and some give you a benefit "in death")

but my guess is that's that the way we should be playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
some cards say "if killed in a Raid"...well, how do they die? and the whole "Raid" action is weird? you don't choose/risk which of the "plunder/reward" options you're going for, you just roll and then see what you get? (no risk there)

suppose you don't roll high enough to get any, which Viking do you take back?

to me, if you Raid you should:

- have to choose, before rolling, which you're option/reward you're going for
- if you lose, all your crew is dead/killed (and some give you a benefit "in death")

but my guess is that's that the way we should be playing?

For each valkyrie piece you take when pillaging an area, you lose a crew member of your choice.
You also move up on the valkyrie track for each crew member that died. This tracks scores VP at the end of the game

Rolling is for how many VP's you score. You may roll under the minimum and score 0 VP, but you still take the plunder and worker from the location you pillaged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Magel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotta say, that's one of my favorite things about this game. There is a purpose for characters dying that actually can even benefit you in the long run. Great idea by the designer. There's even a hero that gains strength by your collected Valkyrie tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wilson
United States
Maple Grove
MN
flag msg tools
mbmb
We play a variant where not all the plunder is selected ahead of time. We only set out half (rounded up) to put out at set up. This means, with each raid, you draw 1-2 plunder from the bag. This adds in some chance, unknown, and danger to raiding without totally changing up everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuge wrote:
We play a variant where not all the plunder is selected ahead of time. We only set out half (rounded up) to put out at set up. This means, with each raid, you draw 1-2 plunder from the bag. This adds in some chance, unknown, and danger to raiding without totally changing up everything.

One of the end game conditions is that there are no Valkyries on the board. I'm curious, does your variant address this since you can't predict how many Valkyries will appear in a given game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Magel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuge wrote:

How do you deal with resources that are supposed to be available? There are ways to get gold during the game to make offerings for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.