6 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: playing with kids -- getting captured rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 1.AUDIENCE:-Kids [+] [View All]
John B.
msg tools
Hi,

I’m playing Mice & Mystics with my young grandchildren. One got really depressed when his mouse got captured and lost some major equipment. I realize that’s a pretty fundamental rule but are there any suggestions on how to soften it so it’s not so devastating? Thanks for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they more upset about the capture aspect or that they lost equipment?

How old are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with my kids, I didn't follow the out of the box capture rules. If a mouse lost all of their health, they were just "knocked out" until combat was over and the standing mice would then help the knocked out mouse/mice recover. No equipment loss, but all of the other penalties.

If all 4 mice got knocked out, then we had to reset to our last "save point"... the beginning of the chapter, same as if the hourglass hit the chapter end marker.

The main thing is to have a fun and have great story moments! Awesome that you are playing with your grandkids!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Stegmaier
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Depending on how old your grand kids are, would depend on how to adjust the game. As previously stated, maybe have the captured only be a temporary knockout until end of fight. Or only lose 1 piece of equipment.
Another thing could be how to figure the dice rolls to be adjusted, so they survive a bit longer.

You could also adjust the game, so that Chapter 1 is very easy rules, and as you progress through the chapters, you bring the rules up to normal, by talking to your grand kids, on the rule changes as you start each Chapter.

Dont let the rules impair the fun. Adjust to keep fun and interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
Thanks, guys, great suggestions. I think I'll drop the equipment loss rule as suggested. That should do it. We're all pretty addicted to this game (we played all day on New Year's Day after receiving it for Christmas) and I don't want an occasional disaster like last night to spoil the fun. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
If your grandkids are under 8, skip the equipment loss rule.

If they are 8 or older though, I advocate playing the rules as written. It sucks when bad things happen, but kids need to learn how to overcome adversity and games are an excellent way to accomplish this.

If there is no negative effect from being captured, you remove some of the excitement from the game and playing through the campaign can become boring because there is nothing to look forward to. Yes it is disappointing to lose your equipment, but then you have the excitement of trying to find it again. It can become a fun team-building activity with everyone trying to search as much as possible to find Maginos the wand he dropped (for example).

You can only keep one piece of non-starting equipment between chapters, so you aren't really losing that much in the scheme of things. Look at it as an opportunity for that mouse to try out some other items while they work towards finding their favorite again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.