Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Tewell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit i really have been inspired by you guys to start sharing my love of board games with others outside of my normal gaming group. In saying that i am interested in possibly starting a podcast myself. I am definitely not a audio tech guy, and have no experience with mics, mixers, software, and other items needed to start one. I have done a lot of research but haven't felt comfortable pulling the trigger in fear of buying the wrong thing. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing with me some of the equipment you use just so i know where your level of gear is and i can work from there. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony McRee
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Other Guy
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a member of this guild, hope you don't mind me jumping in here and giving you some help. I currently use the Audio-Technica ATR2100 for my side of the recording. It is a very good mic to begin with. It doesn't hit the wallet that hard and up to this point been very reliable and provides good quality. My co-host uses the Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone. He picked this mic because of the ability to do multiple pattern selection. So, when we are at a con, or somewhere when we have multiple speakers in the room they can all be heard as we sit around the mic. We are probably going to upgrade my mic this year for the earphone plug has become a problem.

Marty has a mixer, he is a musician on the side, so he has all the equipment, but not sure how much he uses it. Normally we both record our sides and he will mix the tracks together. He has become very proficient in using Audacity.

The only other advice I can give you is be sure to pay attention to where you record, for echos can kill your sound. You need something around you to deaden the sound. When you listen to Alex and Sean, their recording is spot on with no echo and Sean does an incredible job doing the editing. Also, be sure to think about a Pop screen to help soften or "deflect" the air as you speak into the mic.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what the DoD guys use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will defer to Sean for the most part as it's the "Ducle we" responsible for production and recording.

We do use a mixer and a two microphone setup now. Each microphone has a pop filter. We also have a USB connection into an audio program on Sean's computer that has our music set up and ready to go. We've found it's easier to mix the music in live whenever possible (with the key exception being Skype interviews, where we have to add the music later). All of that goes into a handheld recorder that Sean edits in Audacity.

Again, I'm sure Sean can give you more specifics but that's a broad sense of things.

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ramirez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so we use 2x Shure SM58-LC Cardioid Vocal Microphones, that plug into our mixer with XLR cables.

The mixer is a Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQs. We live mix audio from the laptop using a Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output.

Finally we send the mix out via XLR cable, passing through a Shure A15AS Switchable Attenuator, into a Zoom H4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder.

The mics we use are directional and cut out a lot of the ambient sound. Means we have to talk directly in them. However there is a built-in mic on the digital recorder that works really well, and we wind up using for the Live Q&A's. We can also plug a mic with an XLR directly into the digital recorder in the field at cons, and be able to cut out a lot - not all - of the ambient noise.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tewell
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! Thanks for the info from everyone that should give me a good start down the path. Much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls