Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nirus interactive, LLC presents: Janitor Vs. MudGoblin a game designed for the 2016 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1491476/2016-9-card-nanogam...

Component Ready

Game Summary
In the world of Janitor Vs. MudGoblin, The Drill Mountain Company has gone too far this time and attacked the MudGoblin's mines. The time for gorilla warfare has come. As the MudGoblin it is your duty to cause chaos by making the offices of The Drill Mountain Company unbearable to work in. Or perhaps, you would like to take on the role of the charismatic Janitor, a recent prisoner of the MudGoblins, who vows to not let others suffer the muses of his former captors.

Players: 2
Playing Time: 15-30 minutes

The PnP contains 9 double sided cards
Players will need the following:
4d6
1blue token
1 brown token
3 orange tokens
3 green tokens

Download Links:
Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6TEg4QEXyg4b3hRTVA2eGQ2QjQ...

Game Components: Full color 9 cards front and back (both need for play). File is set up to print double side if preferred. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6TEg4QEXyg4TEVCcUlpZ2VTOGM...

Low Ink Version: 9 cards front and back (both need for play). File is set up to print double side if preferred. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6TEg4QEXyg4U0I2bzBzdXlQb0U...

About:
I have been playtesting this game for a while now and want to here your feedback. Any comments are welcome.

Currently the artwork for the rooms are being created and should be updated soon.

There will also be a how to play video uploaded as soon as it is completed.

I'd like the game to be entered in the following categories:

Best Mechanics Game
Best New designer
Best 2-player Game
Best Thematic Game
Best Artwork
Best Greyscale Printed Game Category

Thank you for your time and help
-Johnathan Morton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [ WIP ] - Janitor Vs MudGoblin - Entry for the 2016 9-Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest
Excellent logo art! This will be fun to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [ WIP ] - Janitor Vs MudGoblin - Entry for the 2016 9-Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest

Johnathan - I can't get to your files. I think you need to set them up to be 'shared' on Google Drive as I get the message 'You need permission'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the information. I think I fixed the files please let me know if there are any other issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up, you have Best New Designer listed twice in your categories and Best Strategy game is not a category in this contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Just a heads up, you have Best New Designer listed twice in your categories and Best Strategy game is not a category in this contest.

thank you and updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Real quick thoughts:

The theme is new and catchy.

I'm not sure what the Janitor's Closet ability does.

How do you avoid a runaway leader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Real quick thoughts:

The theme is new and catchy.

Thank you for the feedback.

kungfugeek wrote:
I'm not sure what the Janitor's Closet ability does.

The Janitor’s closet ability:
When dirty side up: It adds an additional action to clean all adjacent rooms and subtracts an action to dirty all adjacent rooms. (It does the opposite when the clean side is up) For example: You are the MudGoblin and have captured the Janitor’s Closet. And the card directly to your right is a clean bathroom. The clean bathroom would normally cost 2 actions for you to dirty/capture it, now it only cost 1.

Continuing with the example above, the card that is directly left to you had been previously captured by you and is a dirty waiting room, it usually costs 1 action for the Janitor player to clean/capture now it will cost 2.

Let if there is a way I can change the rules to help people understand it better.

kungfugeek wrote:
How do you avoid a runaway leader?

This was harder to do, due to allowing players to create their own play areas. The idea was that players would attempt to strategically place cards to prevent this. Knowing this was not perfect I attempted to implement the following:

In the setup phase I did this by allowing player 2 to start with more captured areas and player 1 going first.

Each player starts off with equal actions and has to earn the dice to proceed.

Adding the Character Weapons was a way for people to attempt to block off cards during early play (before getting the dice) that could add to players getting more actions to quickly.

I think Character Weapons are the key component in preventing a runaway leader as they can be spent in several different ways that help you increase your actions or decrease the actions of other player.

Let me know if you think this works.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ng
msg tools
mb
Hello!

Reading the rules, I am concerned that two experienced players will create a draw situation (or a very long, drawn out match) every game since every move is reversible and there is no randomness (apart from the initial setup).

Is this a possibility?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aurasprw wrote:
Hello!

Reading the rules, I am concerned that two experienced players will create a draw situation (or a very long, drawn out match) every game since every move is reversible and there is no randomness (apart from the initial setup).

Is this a possibility?

Thank you for the feedback

I can see how it would seem that way as both players are attempting to accomplish the same goal. Your concern was what happened with the original design before we added Character weapons and card abilities.

Now there is a lot of strategy that come form capturing the right cards at the right time and where you place your weapons. Some cards abilities don't activate without a character weapon so that can change up the game as well. In all the play troughs I have seen most games take 15 minutes to play. Players that took a lot of time to think about there moves took about 30 minutes.

I will admit that was a small sample so I need more people to playtest it here. To truly find that out.

So to answer your question I would say no, unless players never used Character weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some great advice I am planning on making some changes to the rules regarding how the dice add actions.

I would encourage players to keep play testing the game to see if there are any other areas that could be improved and will try to have a rules update later tonight.

Thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Deleted post because it no longer applies to the rules update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rules are up. no more rolling for actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltlizard wrote:
Edit: Deleted post because it no longer applies to the rules update.

A note on deletions. Often in WIP threads like this, instead of deleting content I would instead strikethrough the now incorrect bits -- or just leave everything for historical purposes.

Sometimes knowing you did something and then undid it and then documenting WHY is valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

A note on deletions. Often in WIP threads like this, instead of deleting content I would instead strikethrough the now incorrect bits -- or just leave everything for historical purposes.

Sometimes knowing you did something and then undid it and then documenting WHY is valuable.

Thank you I will do this from now on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Morton
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with some new rule ideas. form the testing done so far it seems to speed the game up.

The change: how dice work ( this is happening a lot)

In this change you would only need 1 dice per player.

You set each dice at 3, showing you have 3 actions that round.

You can increase the dice by flipping cards. (If you flip one card the dice is now 4 and you have 4 actions your next turn, the max being 6 actions if you do not use any card powers)

Character weapons will decrease the dice by 1, if you land on a space that has the apposing players weapon on it.

You can win by getting your opponents dice to 1 or by capturing all the cards.

Any thoughts on these changes? I will update the rulebook once I get some feed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.