Mega Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building ships? How do you pick trade cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant find anything about how to build ships? It just describes how to move and the maintenance of them.

If I have 4 cities, do I get 4 cards of the number 4 city? or 4 cards of number 1? How does this work, rules only say to pick equally many cards as the number of cities.

I get the feeling this rulebook is written for people already familiar with the Civ and ADV-Civ game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Cant find anything about how to build ships? It just describes how to move and the maintenance of them.

If I have 4 cities, do I get 4 cards of the number 4 city? or 4 cards of number 1? How does this work, rules only say to pick equally many cards as the number of cities.

I get the feeling this rulebook is written for people already familiar with the Civ and ADV-Civ game.

To build ships you have to do one of the following
1) 2 coins
2) 1 coin and 1 unit
3) 2 units
To maintain ships you have to do one of the following
1) 1 coin
2) 1 unit

If you have 4 cities, you get ONE card from pile 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
To build a new ship, you simply pay the cost and place the ship in an area. The area has to be in a coastal area containing 1 or more of your population tokens. And if you paid for the ship with 1 or 2 on-map tokens, then the ship has to go in an area from which you took at least one of the tokens.

(I'm not 100 percent certain that if you paid for an area with the only population token that is in that area, whether it is still legal to place the ship in that area: I assume it is, though.)

Tolchock wrote:
Yes, I noticed this too: the rules don't tell you how to distribute the cards, but the example at the bottom of page 24 demonstrates how it is done.

If you have 4 cities, you get 1 card from stack 1, 1 card from stack 2, 1 card from stack 3, and 1 card from stack 4.

If you have 1 city, you get 1 card from stack 1. Etc.

Tolchock wrote:
Certainly a familiarity with the former games did make it easier for me to understand the Mega Civilization rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for helping me. But isent it quit a misstep by the rulemakers to not write in the rulebook when nad how ships cones into the game...

Also, when do I pay for the ship???? Still only got the answer how to pay. Still no idea in what step...

Think the rulebooks need to rewritten with a mindset of teaching this to newcomers aswell. Or atleast write "this rulebook is not complete, you need to know the original game beforehand"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Building ships? How do you pick trade cards? Edit: Incomplete rulebook "You need to know the rules BEFORE reading this rulebook"
Tolchock wrote:
Thank you for helping me. But isent it quit a misstep by the rulemakers to not write in the rulebook when nad how ships cones into the game...

Also, when do I pay for the ship???? Still only got the answer how to pay. Still no idea in what step...

Think the rulebooks need to rewritten with a mindset of teaching this to newcomers aswell. Or atleast write "this rulebook is not complete, you need to know the original game beforehand"

Hmm, I checked again but in my rulebook it clearly stated how it works. Page 22. Seems fine by me, at the beginning of movement. Right at the time when you neer ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Lehmusjärvi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: Building ships? How do you pick trade cards? Edit: Incomplete rulebook "You need to know the rules BEFORE reading this rulebook"
Tolchock wrote:

Well, rules do say ”At any time during their Movement – phase players may choose to build ships”. And then process of paying for them is described. I think it is pretty clear that you pay them when you build them. What is not explicitly said, only implied is that you may use them immediately.

Concerning the trade cards rules are not quite explicit, but I think the example is but there just for that reason; it makes proces very clear.

Not the best written rules, but if one does read everything I think game can be played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops missed that during the rearead of the rules when i was focusing on ships. Maybe should have had a topic there "ships" so all is in the same place

Anyway my bad!

But I still feel that the rules are written by and for players that are already familiar whit the previous gamerules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jennings
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
If You read The First Game Rules first it clarifies a lot of basic things and it is even suggested in the Rules Book that you read that first.

Also someone has a great FAQ clarification list for more complicated things that is worth a download and a read if you still have questions. It resolves some misprints and omissions in the rules as well and is in the file section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
Oops missed that during the rearead of the rules when i was focusing on ships. Maybe should have had a topic there "ships" so all is in the same place

Anyway my bad!

But I still feel that the rules are written by and for players that are already familiar whit the previous gamerules

No problem at all.
And I also agree with your point of view on the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.