Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well either it was due to the ever growing complexity of rules or just the whole dollar investment to keep up with the latest and greatest powerful ship combo this game is basically dead in our area. The numerous game shops in our area are not even participating in the WizKids event system due to such low turnouts. I really do not see how a new player could even get into the game system because they would be so far behind the eight ball on getting up to speed and buying numerous factions just to be competitive and have a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if your post is trying to elicit a reaction, or suggestions on how it could be encouraged/improved? I'll go with option 2...

In our local area we do various things:

House rules - could be limitations on building so those with smaller collections aren't excluded. By era, pack etc. Then the next highest rank that falls into that category gets a 3rd prize.

New player "freebies" - I have covered the entry of new players and provided them with a fleet so they can sit down and play. With the new blind boosters, it means I get an extra blind booster too...

In our city, it went from 1 occasional OP to 3-4 within a short distance. The players themselves make a difference too. One OP has house ruled the large cube down in cost and applied other restrictions too that encourage different less WAAC fleets. Generally, these are organised by local game clubs, but supported by local stores, so the store has no worries in organising and providing space, which leaves it organised by a group of players who really want it and are enthusiastic...

If all players are in it to win it, then yes, it isn't friendly to new players who turn up with their core set + a few expansions. Hopefully the new re-releases will make some older stuff more available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
In our FLGS when we run OP's the folks who have a lot of stuff are quite happy to loan it out to those who are new or do not have enough kit.

It has really helped some of the new guys get duplicates or gear they missed which helps their OP experience considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we have just started last week, because the game was dead and everything was on sale. Now we are trying to form a playgroup and bring it back to life. The local store promised to support any possible organized events, mainly because we helped them to get rid off of the ugly minis that couldn't be sold even to addicted Trekkie collectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Liedtka
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
I lost half my play group to the Borg, and then many of the rest due to the financial issue. I don't think it's dead though, just people in my area seem more interested in casual play as opposed to OP events. I am trying to get the random players that stop by to play more consistently, but I am still working on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do a similar thing to a couple of the above guys. Except for OP events, all of the games that we play at the local venues are Fleet Faction pure, it adds a ton of balance to the game.

We also have two guys who basically collect every ship from every release (I used to be one as well) who will gladly loan out any ships or upgrade cards that people might need to build a fleet. New players love having this option and it has led to several who tried out a couple different fleets before finding one that they liked. They went on to only buy the ships from the factions that they liked, and even then, only ships that they wanted to use.

Try it before you buy it is the saving grace of the game. Now if we could only get them to stop with the whole supid blind booster thing. I got into this game because it didn't have blind buys and I could just pick out the ships I wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
I really do not see how a new player could even get into the game system because they would be so far behind the eight ball on getting up to speed and buying numerous factions just to be competitive and have a good time.
100+ ships would indeed be a barrier to entry.
I can only imagine the poor noob staring at the wall of his FLGS wondering which ships are "good" and which are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Tillis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
this game is basically dead in our area.

Out of curiosity, what area is that? This sort of post comes up from time to time, and it always surprises me, since STAW has such a vibrant community here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orloff wrote:
Rockin Rocko wrote:
this game is basically dead in our area.

Out of curiosity, what area is that? This sort of post comes up from time to time, and it always surprises me, since STAW has such a vibrant community here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Indianapolis, IN. Also your town was in one of the Star Trek Movies so I could see why it has strong support. I think it was the whale one, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Indianapolis, IN.

Get a hold of Saltire Games on the east side. They still had a solid group when I moved away in September.

Last I checked, Danger Room also had a once a month tournament with regulars and so did Game Preserve - Fashion Mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Indianapolis, IN.

Get a hold of Saltire Games on the east side. They still had a solid group when I moved away in September.

Last I checked, Danger Room also had a once a month tournament with regulars and so did Game Preserve - Fashion Mall.

I play at Saltire, and the normal monthly schedule is OP on the first Saturday of the month, and free play night on the third Saturday. That can change based on holidays, etc. but that's the normal schedule. OPs are listed on the WizKids Event System as well: http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/

There are quite a few places running OPs in the Indy area. Saltire, Game Preserve, and Comic Carnival have been doing them for a while. A newer game store (not sure of the name) around the Pyramids just started them, as well. There are also stores in Greenwood, Greenfield, and Anderson that run events, depending on the side of town you're on. One of the regulars at Saltire plays at probably 5-6 different places a month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My two closest stores don't have OPs anymore either but I still play with a friend now and then. One store doesn't seem to be buying new STAW stock either. The other one buys the new ships and puts them up but there is not that many OTHER ships still on the rack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MormegilND wrote:
Church14 wrote:
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Indianapolis, IN.

I play at Saltire, and the normal monthly schedule is OP on the first Saturday of the month, and free play night on the third Saturday. That can change based on holidays, etc. but that's the normal schedule. OPs are listed on the WizKids Event System as well: http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/

There are quite a few places running OPs in the Indy area. Saltire, Game Preserve, and Comic Carnival have been doing them for a while. A newer game store (not sure of the name) around the Pyramids just started them, as well. There are also stores in Greenwood, Greenfield, and Anderson that run events, depending on the side of town you're on. One of the regulars at Saltire plays at probably 5-6 different places a month.

I am in the Greenwood area and the Game Preserve in Greenwood doesn't do them. Comic Book University in Greenwood use to but the guy who organized them quit doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am pretty new to the OP thing. Small group in Tucson plays about 1x month. Very nice group, helpful and pleasant. Skill levels are mixed and I'm certainly in the lowest tier.

Biggest turn off for me is, as someone above noted, the blind buys. Last two times (out of three) I got really lousy ships I would never have spent money on had I known what they were. I like to play but I'm not a diehard and certainly don't really want most, let alone all, of the ships. It is causing me to reconsider the 1 + hour drive to get to the events. Would be much happier if we just had 5 buck entry fees and got to pick our own ships and then winner take all as far as any prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Mullineaux
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the blind buys either. The ships I really want seem to be mostly on ebay and not my FLGS. The Source here has shifted to Sunday events. One I asked said they are buying less STAW overall and the wall is becoming more Armada and XWing. Think I'll run by Fantasy Flight and see what is going on there with STAW. Been people playing it and often lots of STAW stock. Other game stores here have largely dumped it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Funnell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing slowly here in Perth.

We lend to new players whatever they need. Last event I lent a Hood Riker to a guy (who I then beat with my gank Lure and Faked Messages on a Science vessel fleet).

But I think the important thing is actually the atmosphere and attitude of the players rather than the power level. I think that there are a few combos that can catch out a new player. But if those new players had every ship in the game it wouldn't help them, only experience does. We like to give new players tips and encourage them after their first effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Well either it was due to the ever growing complexity of rules or just the whole dollar investment to keep up with the latest and greatest powerful ship combo this game is basically dead in our area. The numerous game shops in our area are not even participating in the WizKids event system due to such low turnouts. I really do not see how a new player could even get into the game system because they would be so far behind the eight ball on getting up to speed and buying numerous factions just to be competitive and have a good time.

Same here. The staff was apologetic, but said that there were too many releases to keep up with with the release pace, and not enough sales/interest. Even if neither were a consideration, there just wasn't the shelf space to stock everything.

I've moved on to running/playing X-Wing, which is a lot healthier locally.

Rockin Rocko wrote:
Orloff wrote:
[q="Rockin Rocko"]this game is basically dead in our area.

Well of course, but you have to account for the proximity of Starfleet Headquarters.

Not just a local, isolated phenomenon:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many places were there at the UK Expo last year? I have a feeling it was something similar...

X-Wing always has had a bigger fanbase too, as much as I like both, Star Wars generally has more fans and adding more with the new films (one presumes!)...

Could it be different if Wizkids did/do something different? Hard to know. But I know I have bought some X-Wing models simply for display...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
In their shoes, i would move it to 4 ships every two months again, drop the blind buys, and consider a single non-canon expansion for factions that need a fix.

I don't mean a made up ship class, but a second unique neghvar with a new captain that isn't Kor, Martok, or Worf; a generic tech or crew that coild help on defense (like a 3SP generic Kerla that works at all ranges), and a non-discard weapon that affects primary attacks.

Bajorans could get something that provides actions or bonus to the Bajoran ships only. A captain that - for an action - gives friendly Bajoran ships +1 defense and a convert on defense or gives them all a free evade token.

Unless they are willing to do something a bit non-canon, this won't happen. Given that nobody know where the Jolan Tru comes from, this might be plausible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.