Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't they just do what I do? Look it up on urban dictionary or know your meme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
The US government believed this was of importance?
So yeah... my boss forwards me a bunch of emails stories he gets. Some of them are just stupid stories, or funny pictures, but a lot of them are political in nature. All of them are horribly untrue. A quick check of snopes is usually enough to cast doubt on most of them. I think in the past five years he must have sent me about 200 emails and in all that time there was only 1 that was more or less accurate.

Most of the political emails ended up having a highly conservative bias, and blatantly tried to pass off incorrect information as "truth". Now, I don't know if that's because that's what most of the emails going around are or if it's just because my boss is conservative and those are the ones that he's forwarding on. I can't say.

But I'm deeply troubled by the idea that political parties might be using these emails to further their cause by spreading misinformation. If it's just random wingnuts who are creating these things, that's one thing... but it political parties start using this as a tactic, that's very bad.

Most people aren't going to have someone they can send these to to fact check. And aren't going to bother checking it themselves. They'll just accept it as gospel without ever questioning the source of the information or wondering why they assume that the original author is telling them true information. And even my boss, after sending me hundreds of these, and knowing that most of them are partially or completely untrue, still seems to believe a bunch of these at first glance.

TLDR; Most people are stupid and will believe anything that is sent to them in email. Using misinformation as a political tactic is a horrible practice that we should try to stamp out in any way we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, I'm finding more liberal websites passing urban legends as truth - the GOP wants to end social security, enslave blacks, put immigrants into concentration camps, etc. I think we both need to find new friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Decker
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, I might have just landed this thread into RSP. So sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarjent Mike wrote:
Oddly enough, I'm finding more liberal websites passing urban legends as truth - the GOP wants to end social security, enslave blacks, put immigrants into concentration camps, etc. I think we both need to find new friends.
I'm opposed to any political party using misinformation.

I don't really consider my boss a friend. And I'd prefer not to have to find another one any time soon. It does make responding to some of his forwarded emails a challenge in diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle "Mark as SPAM!"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
... But I'm deeply troubled by the idea that political parties might be ... spreading misinformation ...

Yes, and I'm sure this is the first time in history it's ever ever happened (he said sarcastically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
... But I'm deeply troubled by the idea that political parties might be ... spreading misinformation ...

Yes, and I'm sure this is the first time in history it's ever ever happened (he said sarcastically).
Of course not. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't oppose it.

It's unclear whether these types of emails are part of a widespread calculated campaign to spread misinformation or whether it's just random misinformed people sending out bad information. If it is a tool that parties are using to influence people, then we should aggressively shut it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sarjent Mike wrote:
Scalia 'mistakenly' "coddled" his nefarious 'dupes' further through his 'permittance rulings' as well with his "Shadow Dupe"! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarjent Mike wrote:

That's hilarious...the fringe lefty websites, maybe. But I've found the typical conservative posts I find in my feed casually try to pass off "reasonable" truths that further their cause...which Snopes shoots down, instantly.

I've found that if I were so inclined, I could spend most of my time on Facebook posting Snopes links, but geez...I only have so much time in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
franklincobb wrote:
Sarjent Mike wrote:

That's hilarious...the fringe lefty websites, maybe. But I've found the typical conservative posts I find in my feed casually try to pass off "reasonable" truths that further their cause...which Snopes shoots down, instantly.

I've found that if I were so inclined, I could spend most of my time on Facebook posting Snopes links, but geez...I only have so much time in the day.

This a point I have been trying to get across for years/decades.

Why does it make any sense for our society to expect each person to dig through long legal documents or huge numbers of emails to find what the truth is?

You want to buy an insurance policy. The comp. can now print one that is tailor-made just for you. How can you comparison shop in this case? Answer you need to spend 3+ days [or is it 30+ days] reading and comparing policies. Who has time to do that once a year for car insurance, and each other type of policy?

Buying a cell phone? Read 20 pages of legalese [times 5 comp. = 100 pages] to decide that they all have terms or conditions that you can't accept. Like no right to sue if they are negligent.

It would be better if there were some fairly limited number of policies allowed and then you cold pick the one you want. And, other people and organizations [Consumer Reports?] could help you.

As for emails -- I really don't know. My only thought is for there to exist a more limited number of organizations that do fact checks with them or others doing fact checks on them/each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.