Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are players knocked out? It appears that a player can be knocked out early and the game continues on for several hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the manual, available in the files section, you'll find the only way a player can actually be eliminated from the game is if they own no sectors on the board.

This can only be done early in the game if they overspend their actions so much (and, frankly, so stupidly) that they go so bankrupt that they have to withdraw entirely, in which case it's very easy to retcon their last couple of actions and allow them to continue playing. I'm not sure how you got the impression that this could be done easily.

It is possible much later in the game when the various player territories connect and someone has a strong enough military force, but in my experience it's very rare. It's hard to have enough ships to completely eliminate another player's territories without leaving your own entirely wide open to attack.

I may be atypical, but I think I recall a player getting eliminated from the game once, and it was in the last round already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Seth. It's extremely hard to actually get fully knocked out - even if someone makes it their sole goal. I played dozens of 6 player App games trying to see exactly what I would need to do to physically knock out a player, and only succeeded a couple of times.

On the other hand (and much worse), it's not too terribly difficult to cripple a player, and leave them stuck in the hours long game with not much they can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Agree with Seth. It's extremely hard to actually get fully knocked out - even if someone makes it their sole goal. I played dozens of 6 player App games trying to see exactly what I would need to do to physically knock out a player, and only succeeded a couple of times.

On the other hand (and much worse), it's not too terribly difficult to cripple a player, and leave them stuck in the hours long game with not much they can do.

Yeah. I always disliked games with player elimination, but have come to realize that some players would rather quit than play out a hopeless game.

Tailor your game choice to the players available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rule 34: If something exists, there is a monopoly of it. No exceptions.
badge
Rule 34: If something exists, there is a monopoly of it. No exceptions.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:

Might be true but a) it's by far not as bad as in other war/4x games such as TI or game of thrones and b) the biggest influence in getting crippled usually is the player himself by missing out on exploration turndowns or by ignoring emerging threats for too long. Comquering enemy space is not very fast-paced in eclipse and if you don't find the time to react thats most often on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Action/Upkeep mechanic makes it pretty difficult to fully conquer a player. It takes a LOT of actions to move your fleet into his territory (unless he is not defending at all) and you also have the issue of what to do with the system you conquer. Do you keep them (but this increases your upkeep by quite a bit if no Economy planet is present) or do you want to simply deny him the resources?

What can happen is that someone discovers a "3" or "4" speed drive early, puts this on his interceptors, then swarms his interceptors into enemy space. A human player in posession of the Neutron Bomb tech (not hard to get hold off) can quite easily overwhelm someone with lots of interceptors to bomb enemy planets into oblivion (having just watched Babylon 5 again I can see that being quite a pain).

Of course, this does assume that the space is connected other than through the galactic center and that your enemy is not building any defenses on the border. And the interceptors will probably be quite weak and can easily be picked off by enemy ships with superior firepower/bigger ships. Also remember that bombed planets will still contribute to the economy of the enemy the turn they are bombed, while the upkeep is immediately lowered.

In any case, I've NEVER seen a player eliminated entirely, even if his homeworld and Tier I/II tiles have been conquered because those Tier III tiles are simply too distance to make it worthwhile. You don't win this game by conquering others; you win by having the most Victory Points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible but very rare. I've seen one knockout in about 30 games. This was due to early Rho Indi pressure where they also discovered a Cruiser from a discovery token. More aggressive exploration on the defender's part could have made it more difficult via walling off wormholes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player elimination in this game really only happens if people decide to play against their own interests just to knock someone out of the game, and even then it would take really bad play by the victim and foolishly aggressive play by one (or more likely several) other players. In about two dozen six player games, I haven't seen it happen in a serious game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
Player elimination in this game really only happens if people decide to play against their own interests just to knock someone out of the game, and even then it would take really bad play by the victim and foolishly aggressive play by one (or more likely several) other players. In about two dozen six player games, I haven't seen it happen in a serious game.

Defending in this game is not that hard; the rule about requiring MORE ships than the Defender to break through to his territory and the fact that Star Bases cost as much as an Interceptor but have more upgrade slots makes defending early in the game pretty easy.

To get knocked out, you need to have:
1) More than one access route to your space.
2) Nothing invested in Fleet.
3) No upgrades on your ships.
4) Not explored any Tier III tiles away from your opponents.

All in all, getting knocked out early game (turn 1-3) can be prevented and takes concerted effort on your opponents part (at huge expense of growth in other area's) to pull off. It can be done, but a player gambling basically the outcome of the game for him on the success of an assault on another player that early in the game is rarely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.