Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Con of the North was held this weekend here in Minneapolis, MN. I taught some Thunder Alley on Friday night. But on Saturday morning I taught two games of CHURCHILL at the same time to 5 newbies:

Everyone ponders their moves:

Lots of giddy laughing each time Stalin had one of his insubordinates liquidated and the drive on Berlin (we played the Training Scenario):

Churchill and FDR roll into Berlin. The game I played in ended in a three-way tie (ahhhhhh, try explaining that result at the end of the game.) I still don't know who wins a 3-way tie in a game where Germany and Japan both fall. Since its a tie, do the Americans use their special ability to break ties?

Everyone had a great time playing Churchill, we finished in 2 and 1/2 hours. Maybe we could have squeaked a 5-turn game into our 4 hour time slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up. I think I heard about this 33-33-33 tie on the board gaming sub-Reddit.

Wouldn't the normal tie-breaking rules still apply, whether it's a 2-way or 3-way tie?

In this order:

1) If the US has the A-Bomb, Roosevelt/Truman wins; otherwise:

2) If the USSR's East Front tank is the sole occupier of Germany, Stalin wins; otherwise:

3) Churchill wins

Assuming the 2nd to last picture is from the same tied game, it seems the winner was either Roosevelt or Churchill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a really great photo session report! Regarding your question about a tie...

Did you read section 4.44, "Final Game Victory Tiebreaker" on page 7?

Essentially, if the US has the A-Bomb, then the US wins. If not, then if the USSR was the only country to occupy Germany, then the USSR wins. If neither of those conditions is true, then Churchill wins.

Keep in mind that the above rule is applied only after any other final scoring adjustments are made. Also, I admit to being uncertain if the dice rolls mentioned earlier in the same column (just above the "Tournament Scoring" paragraph) are applied as part of the final scoring adjustments. I don't think so.

This paragraph that I'm uncertain about says, "In case of a tie for first, both players subtract the value of a six-sided die. ..." It makes sense to me however, that this rule only applies to a Condition 3 victory. So I don't think it applies to your situation, in which case I would simply stick with paragraph 4.44.

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I wanted to call out that other paragraph just incase it does matter. But again, I don't think it applies for a Condition 1 or a Condition 2 victory.

Edit: Whoops... looks like my slow fat-fingered typing struck again! Nim posted his reply while I was typing mine. Anyway, I'll keep mine up, so you can see the rules reference (4.44), and just incase my discussion about the Condition 3 tiebreaker should matter, at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
macgruff wrote:
Nice write-up. I think I heard about this 33-33-33 tie on the board gaming sub-Reddit.

Wouldn't the normal tie-breaking rules still apply, whether it's a 2-way or 3-way tie?

In this order:

1) If the US has the A-Bomb, Roosevelt/Truman wins; otherwise:

2) If the USSR's East Front tank is the sole occupier of Germany, Stalin wins; otherwise:

3) Churchill wins

Assuming the 2nd to last picture is from the same tied game, it seems the winner was either Roosevelt or Churchill.

Yep, forgot about that. Thanks. In the heat of the moment I had forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.