Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Jones
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I've just decided to dive into ASL. I have ASLSK1 and just received the rule book and Beyond Valor in the mail. I've seen several threads advising gamers to purchase the modules when they are available. Is the logical next step for beginners after BV to purchase Yanks? I see I wouldn't need any other module to play it besides BV which is nice. Or would it be better to buy Decision at Elst before it goes OOP?

The obvious answer is buy both I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest FKaC (low stock), then Rising Son, then Yanks when it comes out shortly.

See, e.g., http://www.gamersarmory.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you want to go whole hog into ASL without having played Guns/Ordnance or vehicles in Starter Kit. You might want to get DECISION AT ELST and play a few scenarios with those rules before continuing on with the full ASL game--just to be sure you are going to enjoy such an investment. Playing with those rules in ASLSK will pay off when approaching these in the full ASL system, so it won't be time wasted.

If you decide you like the added complexity of Guns/Ordnance and vehicles in ASLSK, you'll be likely to enjoy them in the full ASL game. YANKS is the obvious next purchase, but if there are any copies of FOR KING AND COUNTRY to be had, snap up one while you can if the price is right. It may already be too late. YANKS will be out for quite a while longer, whereas FOR KING AND COUNTRY is nearly out of stock in most places.

Only your budget can tell you what you can afford. The good news about buying ASL modules is that, if you decide you don't want them, you shouldn't have a problem letting them go for a decent price on the secondary market.

The key is playing these modules and getting somewhat comfortable with at least Chapters A through D for the European Theater. You'll then want to mess around with Chapter E. With both YANKS and FOR KING AND COUNTRY in your inventory, you'll have all you need for RISING SUN and the Pacific Theater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
If your just getting into ASL I would play through as much of the ASLSK starter sets as you can and get a feel for the system(ASLSK #1, #2(which is soon to be reprinted and ASLSK#3(also to be available again). DaE is not to bad, but it has a limited number of scenarios, to go with the campaign game, but the good part is you get to play around with OBA. You could get by if you want and just get ASLSK# 3(when it's available, but #1 is a good starting point. By the time your done playing as many of the Starter Kit scenarios as you want you'll have a good handle on the basic ASL and diving into full ASL will not be to bad.
Now, If you think you will want the full ASL experience right away, I would recommend getting FKaC(where ever you can find it since it just went OOP) next and then depending on where your interests lie, get Rising Sun or Yanks II when it comes out. From there I would pick up HP and hopefully by then HL and CDG might be reprinted, or something will have been announced. Be prepared to pay more for the last two DB and AoO if you want to complete the base modules. As far out as it is, ASL Korea, may or may not be something you will want to consider since it leaves W.W. II behind. Maybe by that time DB and AoO they will be on a reprint/pre-order schedule from MMP. The general rule of thumb is get it when it's available because you don't know when it will be reprinted.

Best of luck and welcome to the club,

turks1966

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yanks or For King and Country are the natural modules to get after Beyond Valor, because none of them require much more than Beyond Valor, and other modules build on those three. There may be some maps you need from other modules, notably 9,11 and 33 from Doomed Batallions, but those can be bought separately at $5 a piece. I don't think it matters much which of Yanks and FKaC you get first, and like someone has said already, FKaC just went OOP. Get it if you can. With Beyond Valor, Yanks and FKaC + the three maps I mentioned, you will have all maps up to 33, except desert maps, and you will have OOB's which are used in many other modules. That's a very good and natural place to start (and will hold you a lifetime, if you can suppress the urge to get everything - so many of us failed that will check ).

Rising Sun could of course go OOP too, so there is that to consider. But it is more natural to get both Yanks and FKaC first, since Rising Sun has some scenarios which require british OOB from FKaC, and some which require american OOB from Yanks. Besides, I don't think there are any other core modules which require Rising Sun (although the Korean one may), so Rising Sun should only be a priority if PTO is important to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a couple of ASLSK#1 scenarios to make sure you like the system - if you do and want more then I would say get FKaC as it still around (just) and meshes well with BV and then wait for Yanks to be reprinted later this year and get that.

Again if you are sure this is for you and you have any desire to play Pacific scenarios then pick up Rising Sun while it is still around.

If you are sure you like the system and will be using ASLSK#1 as no more than a tutorial stepping-stone to full ASL you can probably skip ASLSK#2#3 and 'Decision at Elst'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jones
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for all your help. It looks like I'll try to get FKaC and Yanks when available. I'll cut my teeth on the SK and hopefully graduate to full ASL thereafter. If I find it too intensive, the good news is I should be able to recoup most of the money invested in the modules.

I believe once I get a grasp of the basic rules, I will want to keep learning more. Maybe one day I'll be able to teach my son how to play when he gets older. I like the fact that ASL has such a great community of players that want to help us newbies.

I'm definitely open to any more suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mos_def85 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your help. It looks like I'll try to get FKaC and Yanks when available. I'll cut my teeth on the SK and hopefully graduate to full ASL thereafter. If I find it too intensive, the good news is I should be able to recoup most of the money invested in the modules.

I believe once I get a grasp of the basic rules, I will want to keep learning more. Maybe one day I'll be able to teach my son how to play when he gets older. I like the fact that ASL has such a great community of players that want to help us newbies.

I'm definitely open to any more suggestions anyone may have.

Thanks again!

Since you have bought SK#1 and Beyond Valor, I recommend playing the first couple of scenarios from SK#1, then play The Guards Counterattack (found on MMP's website) with full ASL rules. The Guards Counterattack can be played with only BV, and it has simple terrain and only MG's as support weapons. I found this a very pleasant way to get into ASL gradually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.