Assault on Doomrock» Forums » Variants

Subject: How we play Doomrock. (Easier/more thematic variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Town
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My gamer group played through this game twice and both times have gotten bored part-way through because of the randomness and difficulty of the game. Many times during battle we found we could not do anything because we had rolled the wrong number on the dice. This made the game feel frustrating and we felt that the idea of a hero doing nothing in battle is completely un-thematic.

We tweaked the rules ever so slightly so this game feels more playable and more thematic:

1) The time tokens that you get at each point in the adventure is the number on the setting card + the current visible encounter card's number. (ie first adventure phase is +1 etc...)

2) All heroism, shields and exposure tokens are kept from round to round, but discarded at the end of battle.

3) All heroes are considered to have the following ability:

PUNCH: (any dice value)
You deal 1 damage to an enemy and suffer 1 damage.
HEROISM: You do not suffer 1 damage.

We have now started to play through with these rules and are still yet to win, but now being able to reach a satisfying conclusion of the game instead of stopping midway through! Hoping for a successful run soon!

Hope this is helpful to other players! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping all those tokens on your hero from turn to turn ought to have been the default setting, with the current rules about discarding them being added in a "true challenge" mode. It just makes so much more sense to play this way, and definitely evens out the luck of bad rolls. (Can't do anything with your 1's and 6's? Bank them for a future turn.)

I also recommend ignoring the passive abilities on the class cards for the "default" setting. You lose a positive along with a negative, which evens out, and you cut out a LOT of fiddliness IMO.

I will try the time token one. It's been a while since I played, but I think I was starting with extra money or a free level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the keeping shields and heroism, then do you play that the enemies keep them too? This is going to strengthen enemies that get shields every turn, or AI cards that place multiple shields on an enemy.

I worry that this will skew the game towards some already difficult enemies, but I understand your frustrations with the difficulty of this game, and understand that not winning is not fun.

Are you playing with the 2nd edition and expansion? Perhaps you could start your heroes with all 5 ability cards and play the rest of the game as written for the needed boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Town
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
If you use the keeping shields and heroism, then do you play that the enemies keep them too?

Yes, keeping the heroism on our own characters and being able to PUNCH to remove extra shields balances out some of those effects. Also you could only add shields to unshielded enemies?

dlikos wrote:
Are you playing with the 2nd edition and expansion?

We are only playing the original so far; maybe the expansion would sort of some of our issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nwotxela wrote:
dlikos wrote:
Are you playing with the 2nd edition and expansion?

We are only playing the original so far; maybe the expansion would sort of some of our issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, how many heroes are you using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Town
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many heroes are you using?

Three of us!

We finally got a successful run in! Through the zombie hoard to boot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.