Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon Crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
IS NICE, I LIKE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

So there's already a ton of posts about which dungeon crawler, though none seem to be looking for the exact things I'm looking for, so here goes...

* Fully Co-op (no DM or any form of PvP)
* Not campaign-driven
* Includes leveling & loot
* Preferably fantasy themed
* Budget of £55/$80 (simply cannot justify spending more than this on any board game)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steelchampion wrote:
Hey,

So there's already a ton of posts about which dungeon crawler, though none seem to be looking for the exact things I'm looking for, so here goes...

* Fully Co-op (no DM or any form of PvP)
* Not campaign-driven
* Includes leveling & loot
* Preferably fantasy themed
* Budget of £55/$80 (simply cannot justify spending more than this on any board game)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


The only thing I can think of that checks all your boxes is Zombicide: Black Plague, although I am not sure about the price at online retailers, so it may be slightly above your budget.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Games (Castle Ravenloft, etc.) seem to come very close.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mason
United States
Sacramento
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ask me about Vassal.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Plungin'

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31412/dungeon-plungin

It's Print and Play and it's Free!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
IS NICE, I LIKE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched a video of a couple of the DnD games, and I've looked at Black Plague.

The DnD games seem to be missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is they're missing... Maybe just look a bit bland? Not sure...

Black Plague looks to fit the bill perfectly, but that price tag... I understand miniatures cost more, but it's just so much! Also, would the game feel incomplete without any expansions?

I also had a look at Legends of Andor, but I can't tell if it's dungeon-crawly or if it's just a regular co-op with a fantasy theme pasted on top. Can anyone comment on this?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steelchampion wrote:
I've watched a video of a couple of the DnD games, and I've looked at Black Plague.

The DnD games seem to be missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is they're missing... Maybe just look a bit bland? Not sure...

Black Plague looks to fit the bill perfectly, but that price tag... I understand miniatures cost more, but it's just so much! Also, would the game feel incomplete without any expansions?

I also had a look at Legends of Andor, but I can't tell if it's dungeon-crawly or if it's just a regular co-op with a fantasy theme pasted on top. Can anyone comment on this?


I only have the base Black Plague box right now, and it feels like a lot of game even without the expansion. I agree it's definitely not cheap, but it is easily the best looking game I have ever owned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death (not quite fantasy, but otherwise fitting)

Sword & Sorcery (this one has campaign play, though)

Bye
Thanee
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in this game Side Quest.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sidequest/side-quest-po...

The Kickstarter is ended, but it was very successful, so I have no doubt you'll be able to procure a copy once it's fully printed and released. It may scratch that itch you have.

Good luck!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King has a fully co-op, arcade mode (no DM).

It also fits all of your criteria, so I suggest you to check it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The WIP Dungeons of Infinity meets all your criteria, and the PnP is free or for the cost in assembly. He has coop mode, which I played on Saturday. He also has race- and quest-type games and no DM/GM.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
IS NICE, I LIKE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions!


GeorgeMo wrote:
The WIP Dungeons of Infinity meets all your criteria, and the PnP is free or for the cost in assembly. He has coop mode, which I played on Saturday. He also has race- and quest-type games and no DM/GM.


Looks interesting, though I think I'll wait for the full release next year to see.

designer78 wrote:
You might be interested in this game Side Quest.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sidequest/side-quest-po...

The Kickstarter is ended, but it was very successful, so I have no doubt you'll be able to procure a copy once it's fully printed and released. It may scratch that itch you have.

Good luck!


I actually ordered Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game this morning funnily enough so I feel both this game and the game you mentioned will fill the same hole - what I'm really after is an actual board as opposed to 100% cards.


I think the most fitting and interesting games suggested here are Forgotten King, and Black Plague. I've just watched a half-hour video of each, and I feel like Black Plague is a lot smoother and cleaner than Forgotten King - am I mistaken here? I will (begrudgingly) go over-budget if it means I'll get exactly the game I need, without feeling the need to get multiple games of the same genre.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Assault on Doomrock?

I'm not sure if it's a 'dungeon-crawler' per se, but it's definitely an adventure game that is about exploration and discovery that seems to meet all of the stated criteria.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
IS NICE, I LIKE
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
How about Assault on Doomrock?

I'm not sure if it's a 'dungeon-crawler' per se, but it's definitely an adventure game that is about exploration and discovery that seems to meet all of the stated criteria.


That also looks good, though that still fills the already filled hole of adventure card game. I feel like it adds to the experience when you have a board laid out with miniatures/upright tokens or whatnot on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I collected some recos here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391969/kid-friendly-du...

(substantial overlap with what you've gotten on this thread).

Some good WIP ones are Land of Monsters and this one:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B09VxLbl1fT7YWRMcWxfSHN2UX...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the Weird Western Theme Shadow's of Brimstone (Swamps of Death/Cities of Ancients) offers exactly what you are chasing.

This is one my brother and I play quite a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.