Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The creator of New York 1901 should be joining us this week!

NEXT SESSION >>> Wednesday February 17, 2016.
GAMES >>> There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? >>> THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? >>> Gaming starts at 6pm and goes until 10
PARKING: Kent St. has parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar. They are ALL one-way streets.

COST: FREE

MAP: Google maps
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/330+Kent+St,+Ottawa,+ON+K2P...:0x98990a2ff0d681e3[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New York 1901

The designer of New York 1901, Chenier La Salle (shocko) will be joining us to play this fun game (while sharing with us the history of the building of NY skyscrapers in the early 20th century and experience designing the game).

If you are interested in having a play with Chernier let me know here or through geekmail so I can make sure that you have a spot reserved.

If you haven't had a chance to play the game I really urge you to give it a try. It is simple but has depth and, most importantly, is fun.

If you happen to have a copy of the game, please bring it if you can.

Cheers,
JOE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
New York 1901

The designer of New York 1901, Chenier La Salle (shocko) will be joining us to play this fun game (while sharing with us the history of the building of NY skyscrapers in the early 20th century and experience designing the game).

If you are interested in having a play with Chernier let me know here or through geekmail so I can make sure that you have a spot reserved.

If you haven't had a chance to play the game I really urge you to give it a try. It is simple but has depth and, most importantly, is fun.

If you happen to have a copy of the game, please bring it if you can.

Cheers,
JOE

Sounds really cool. Too bad I'm out of town this week. Have fun building in NY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
Chenier had some back issues today and won't be able to make it this week but he said he'd definitely be there next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the "challenging" parking conditions and slow traffic 10 people made it out to Wednesday's game night.

I started off by introducing Bruges to Sharon (my better half) and Emil. It ended up being a very tight game with all of us finishing within 2 points. I made great progress on the canals (but not before Sharon snagged the 7 point statue. I played as card which earned a nice 2 coin dividend per round early in the game but, another early play didn't pay a dividend until the last round and, by then,it was useless. Later in the game I played a card that gave me 2 coins every time someone housed a person. Emil had a nice early combo that earned him coins and VPs. Sharon had a good combo that got her a yellow worker which she could then convert to cash. Both Sharon and Emil housed lots of workers and I lagged behind on that front. Threats were mostly a non-issue and well distributed across the colours so there was only one or two times anything was triggered. This would play a major factor as in the last round Sharon drew and was able to play the Jailer which allowed her dispose of 1 threat token for each person she had housed in her tableau. This was converted into a massive 13 VPs. A bit overpowered at this stage of the game but she rode a tight line with the threat of multiple threats being triggered. The reward...a one point victory over Emil and 2 points over me.

Next, Steve taught Sharon and me 7 Wondersand we played with Frank and Danny. It was a learning game but Sharon picks up on things quickly...me (if you haven't figured it out by now) a bit less so. Frank earned huge points with his military might beginning in the 2nd age after Danny and I had a small advantage over him in the first round. Danny racked up some nice science points. Steve was well diversified. Sharon had played lots of pure VP cards. I kind of got stuck and never finished the third stage of my Wonder. Ugh. Frank and Steve finished in the 50s, Sharon in the upper 40s and Danny and I lagged behind in the 30s. Frank took the win with his military might. All hail Rhodes.

Other games I saw played included Danny, Frank and Charles getting in an early game of Vikings; Steve, Frank and Danny played some Haggis; and Charles, Andrea, Nico and ? played Macao.

A quick note on 7 Wonders - last year, before the first time I attended an OGG meetup, I saw in the announcement on BGG with 7 Wonders in the title. So, I quickly watched a video or two so I wouldn't look like a total newb. I never played the game and apparently watching 2 videos 13 months ago didn't prevent me from looking like a newb.

New York 1901
Chenier couldn't make it this week but promised he'd be here next week. Hopefully, we can get a couple of games with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Cruel Game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/21851844#21851844
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mark. Can I post the info here for the next demo for Ashes I'm organizing next week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolga wrote:
Hi Mark. Can I post the info here for the next demo for Ashes I'm organizing next week?

Hi Steve,

Can Yannick post the info here for the Ashes Demo he is running next week?

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he just did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
Bolga wrote:

Hi Steve,

Can Yannick post the info here for the Ashes Demo he is running next week?

M

Of course! Yannick, feel free to post your info in next week's thread which will be up later today.

- Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.