Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
Help decide which of the following games to buy. I want to play it with only 2 players.

i) Mombasa : Looks really superb, but I read many complains about 2 player game. I am afraid that it is going to have the "Terra - Mystica effect" ( the tension becomes much less ).
ii) Russian railroads : Although it is probably an unflawed euro, I am not sure it has something special.
iii) Castles of Burgundy : It has to be in the top - 10 list for a reason. Also plays optimal with 2.
iv) Inhabit the earth : It has the best (I know it is subjective) theme. Looks very interesting. Just I am afraid it will have too much luck.
v) Madeira : It is the heaviest on the list. I am reading complains about the luck factor, compering to the weight of the game. Also I am not keen on it's theme. But the many people love it, so I am a bit curious about it.

Here are my preferences. I want to be a strategic game and luck not playing a major factor. I want playing time be about 60 min. Nice artwork also matters.
The one I am closer is Inhabit the Earth, but I want to listen some other people opinion .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be the wrong person to give an opinion, as I have not played any of the other games, but I can confirm that The Castles of Burgundy is a fantastic game with two players. It is one of mine and my wife's favorite games. Definitely keep it in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero 164
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those definitely Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Russian Railroads, Madeira, and Castles of Burgundy.

CoB is a must have game if you mostly play 2p. It doesn't have the best presentation, however, so keep that in mind.

Russian Railroads plays fine with 2p, though I wish it was as long as the 3-4 player game. It also doesn't have that much replay value after the first couple of games (At least without the expansion). It has the least amount of luck of these three games.

Madeira is one of my favorite games. I have yet to try it with two, but I haven't heard any complaints. There is some luck, but just enough to where you can't completely map out what it is you need for upkeep during turns. Also, this one might run a little long for your 60-minute time frame.

That all being said, I think Russian Railroads is closest to what you want. Castles of Burgundy is one of the most essential 2p Euros around though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
After some thought I am not sure if my girlfriend would like Russian Railroads, so I remove it form the options I consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.