Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rule 34: If something exists, there is a monopoly of it. No exceptions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in the game after viewing the Shut up and Sit down review video, in which Quinns pointed out that the game had some minor issues with typos.

Now, on the geekmarket I'm realizing there is a 2012 and a 2014 English edition, but other sources don't always specify.
(I'm pretty sure amazon.de and amazon.co.uk are selling the 2012 edition, at least the images indicate so.)

Anyway, could anyone tell me for sure if the 2014 print is in any way a better purchase than the 2012 Print? Has anyone ever seen both versions and noticed a difference? Or is there a statement from the publisher? It would totally be worth it even if just a few typos had been fixed. And since I don't own a version yet, I'd like to get the better one if there is any.

Cheers
Florian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2014 edition, and the typos are still there. Everything everyone here has said indicates Ystari hasn't updated anything and isn't particularly interested in doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're pretty much the same. It's unlikely the typos will be fixed anytime soon, if ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!
Is it worth getting though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I would strongly recommend it without any reservations whatsoever. It's an excellent game. Just look at how many people there are on this site just begging the publishers for more. You will not regret your purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Pascall
United States
Spring Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NjordVanir wrote:
Thanks guys!
Is it worth getting though?

It is definitely worth it. Most of the typos dont affect your ability to solve the riddles. For instance, you may hear someone talk about a "dock" in a bedroom and you'll realize it is supposed to be "clock."

As for the major errors, print out out the unofficial eratta in this files section (for the moment Case 3 is fixed, and soon Case 6) and you shouldn't have to worry much about errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, most errors are minor (and sometimes humorous) typos that are easily deciphered, along the lines of "the murder occurred as the dock struck one." As Marcus said, definitely check out the errata here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the recommendations! Fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, some "typos" are kinda ambigous, because of the font used. Several times I wasn't sure which letter I'm looking at. But in general, I haven't spotted anything major in 2014 print, though there are some minor quirks here or there. But if you know the language and have some common sense, you will easily catch them and find they're not really detrimental to the game. That said, I haven't played case 3 yet, and that's where bad doo doo landed apparently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But at least there is an errata page somewhere, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus' Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Unofficial Errata is there (he was too modest to include a link, I guess) with case 3 now and case 6 forthcoming. I don't know of a comprehensive set of errata for all the cases, but there could be something deep in the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got mine off amazon, and it turned out to be the 2014 print.
What do you know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished case I.
Absolutely awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Glad you enjoyed the game. Case 1 is a great introductory case because it introduces new players to the pitfalls of red herrings and the enjoyment of solving mini-cases on the side. The remaining cases will not disappoint you. And now's a good time to be buying the game, since an expansion (= more cases) is scheduled for later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it just case 3 and 6 that have issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
Glad you enjoyed the game. Case 1 is a great introductory case because it introduces new players to the pitfalls of red herrings and the enjoyment of solving mini-cases on the side. The remaining cases will not disappoint you. And now's a good time to be buying the game, since an expansion (= more cases) is scheduled for later this year.

I just bought it too, but I didn't know about an expansion. Great news, funny how things work out sometimes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.