Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else have some Technology Event cards that are somewhat lighter blue on the backs than the rest?

It may not be a big deal - I don't think anyone I'd play with would memorize which cards are lighter but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep. Part of the rustic look of the printing. I can't imagine anyone using it to their advantage.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but I do think its a bit of an issue that all the lighter cards appear to be
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ailerons, Welded Steel, and Better Engines.
:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Put that in spoiler tags please.

Apparently people in your group do indeed use things like that to your advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We so rarely play something so often and so many times that we'd get good enough to use it to our advantage. But I'm not so sure that it's part of the rustic design...it looks like some cards came out of the printer lighter than others. I haven't tried the game yet - it probably won't be an issue - but that's generally not something players let companies get away with (for instance when expansion card-backs are distinguishable from the base game). Otherwise I was very happy with the components (and the wipes-a-lot)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I make it a point not to look for such things that could ruin the game for me. So when I saw a weathered look to the backs that isn't quite uniform I didn't even look to see which cards were which, in the event that it could reveal information that would give someone an unfair advantage. Ruins my investment.

I have a fellow player that subscribes to me so he'll likely see the description above, and with any luck he won't read or remember it as well. Given that you can only see one card-top at a time on the deck it likely won't make much of a difference anyway.

If you want to complain about it that's fine, but the easier thing is to not go looking for the trouble in the first place. If you aren't playing for money it doesn't matter, it's just poking yourself in the eye. Choose to play fair instead, and play with other people that feel the same way.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Rostoker
Canada
Gloucester
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, it isn't a 'weathering effect' - a handful of cards in a row are uniformly a very different shade of blue from the rest of the deck. The weathering effect is the rest of the cards looking like their backs are a bit faded and washed out (but all in the same way).

I spoilered my post, but don't blame me for pointing out why the colour issue might be a problem. When I played I didn't really notice any issues, but the fact that some are possible due to this is disappointing and shouldn't be hand-waved away or blamed on anyone but VPG's printer. It isn't 'looking for trouble' to have eyes and share concerns. And nowhere did anyone in this thread brag about using this error to take advantage of others.

And yes, this error and the errata aside, this is a really good game and I'm glad I have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I have a fellow player that subscribes to me so he'll likely see the description above, and with any luck he won't read or remember it as well. Given that you can only see one card-top at a time on the deck it likely won't make much of a difference anyway.

Like I'd be able to remember something like that. Silly.

Edit:
I also don't really think it would have much impact on game play. For instance, If I looked over at Sags hand, and saw that he had Ailerons in his hand, I'm not sure it would really effect play. Maybe if Espionage was AFTER Design, but it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta agree with OP here. I just opened up my copy last night, immediately noticed the blatantly different colors and looked in the rules to see if they were used for s different game mode or something.

I came to BGG looking for answers, so it's not a random printer quality thing. A handful of the cards are much lighter and they are all the lower numbered cards.

I too don't expect it to impact gameplay much, but it's pretty poor production value at a minimum.

I am surprised by the quick attacks on the OP for merely pointing out what is plain to see. I guess fanboys will leap to the defense for a game / publisher they like, regardless of evidence to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:

I am surprised by the quick attacks on the OP for merely pointing out what is plain to see. I guess fanboys will leap to the defense for a game / publisher they like, regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Attacks? What and where please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the OP, I didn't feel attacked. I felt my concerns were pooh-poohed a bit more than was warranted but never attacked. I also acknowledge that with the way cards are used in this game, the card backs aren't a DISASTER but I wouldn't mind replacements for the different-colored ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I play with Blue
mbmbmbmbmb
Erin, I agree and am contacting VPG about it. Mine were the same. 10 cards, numbered 17-26
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Peterson

Layton
Utah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used color backed card Sleeves. They all look the same now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dancingdanslc wrote:
I just used color backed card Sleeves. They all look the same now.

I have the same card back problem as the OP. While I've sleeved with opaque blue sleeves I'd rather have been able to use clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.