Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit (10 Aug 2016): I noticed the description was changed and now the game is described as driving cattle from Texas to Kansas City. I applaud the designer and publisher for making this change to more accurately reflect history. The game will be so much more pleasurable to those of us whose cultural past is steeped in the legends of this history. Thank you so much!

OP:

I wonder why Houston was chosen as the destination for the cattle drives rather than Ft Worth.

BTW, I really like both Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King and Mombasa. I like the theme, so I'm looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why Houston instead of Cow Town, Ft Worth?
This game is not finished yet. Everything is preliminary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why Houston instead of Cow Town, Ft Worth?
My understanding of the history of cattle drives from Texas ranches (which may be flawed) is that cattle were driven north to the railroads in Kansas. One or more of the trails used went through Ft Worth. Eventually the railroad came to Ft Worth which then became a major destination for cattle drives. Stockyards were built there, and that area is a nationally recognized historic district and a big tourist attraction. Slaughterhouses and meat packing plants were also built there.

Alex, thank for your reply and for choosing to design a game with this theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the description was changed and now the game is described as driving cattle from Texas to Kansas City. I applaud the designer and publisher for making this change to more accurately reflect history. The game will be so much more pleasurable to those of us whose cultural past is steeped in the legends of this history. Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how historically accurate the game really is. The IRL Great Western Trail ended in Dodge City, KS (on the western side of the state - opposite of KC) where cattle typically were sold and then shipped EAST to Topeka and then KC. Once in Kansas City, cattle were processed (slaughtered) and then shipped EAST to St. Louis, Chicago, and so on. Cattle from the Great Western Trail fed the Northern and Eastern portions of the country.

If you'd have wanted to send cattle from Texas to New Mexico, Arizona and California, you wouldn't have sent them ALLLL the way north to Kansas before sending them west, they would have simply shipped them west directly from Texas.

Lets just say that the thematic choices in the game are ... odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
I'm not sure how historically accurate the game really is. The IRL Great Western Trail ended in Dodge City, KS (on the western side of the state - opposite of KC) where cattle typically were sold and then shipped EAST to Topeka and then KC. Once in Kansas City, cattle were processed (slaughtered) and then shipped EAST to St. Louis, Chicago, and so on. Cattle from the Great Western Trail fed the Northern and Eastern portions of the country.

If you'd have wanted to send cattle from Texas to New Mexico, Arizona and California, you wouldn't have sent them ALLLL the way north to Kansas before sending them west, they would have simply shipped them west directly from Texas.

Lets just say that the thematic choices in the game are ... odd.

Just tell yourself it's the development of the Southern Pacific

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_Transportatio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.