Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the first stage of the Season 15 BGG Star Realms League Cup; the Iron Stage!

This competition is running in parallel to Season 15 of the BGG Star Realms League. This thread will have the match-ups and results of the first stage of play, the Iron Stage. Members of the League who are playing in one of the Iron tier divisions, and any non-league members participating in the League Cup, will gather here and face off in competition to qualify for entry into the Bronze Stage of the tournament.

Prior to the start of the stage, all participants in the stage will be randomly paired together. If you are signed up to start in this stage of the tournament, subscribe to this thread to be notified when the pairings are posted.

Once the pairings are posted, matches should be played in a timely manner; 72 hours (3 days) for completion is the general rule of thumb. Each match is a single game, and will be played following the League guideline of using the lowest common expansion preference.

Any donations of Geek Gold this thread receives, I will distribute evenly to the Iron Tier participant(s) who make it the furthest in the tournament. Parrexion won a majority of the 260 geek gold prize for the Iron Tier.

Stage Structure:
The Iron Stage will consist of a single round for this season's League Cup. There are 42 participants. There will be 22 qualifiers moving on to the Bronze Stage, two of which will be byes. 4 players will be granted half-byes, and will be paired up to play a non-elimination game to determine who earns the full bye, the loser of these matches and the other 38 participants will be randomly drawn into 20 pairings.

For the 2 byes this stage, the 4 players who were either relegated from Bronze tier for this season or who had a 7-4 record in Iron tier last season but were not promoted received the half-byes, and were randomly drawn into pairings to determine which players will receive the byes.

Half-Bye Playoffs:
ElegantChaos (V) v. Daemonsson (V)
Mirek (NP) v. Tuen (1B)

Iron Stage Pairings:
Camelorn (V) v. MTGirl (NP)
Malachite (NP) v. toolbum (NP)
GopherKev (V) v. Palmer (V)
GEKI (1) v. ColinMacLeod (1B)
CCKinnison (1B) v. HWBadger (V)

xmouser (A) v. dZilla (NP)
Omahavice (V) v. Kolok (1B)
BirdLaw (NP) v. MarkbotIIIk (1B)
randt (A) v. jeffgtx (V)
Quizmaster (1B) v. Daemonsson (V)

younggbg (V) v. Wheels (1B)
katadare (A) v. FraserInAu (G1)
ScreamWeaver (A) v. nizlamb (1B)
ExcessRope (1B) v. Ciago (A)
Eldistan (V) v. Mars (1B)

Gman (NP) v. Anfield (A)
bigcoop (1B) v. Morg (1B)
Tuen (1B) v. SoccerfanSix (1B)
Jeremiah (V) v. smors (1B)
Parrexion (V) v. WestDaddyUtd (V)

Match winners should go to the next stage's thread to subscribe and await its start:
League Cup, Season 15 - Bronze Stage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Stage Participants: 42
Anfield (A)
bigcoop (1B)
BirdLaw (NP)
Camelorn (V)
CCKinnison (1B)
Ciago (A)
ColinMacLeod (1B)
Daemonsson (V)
dZilla (NP)
Eldistan (V)
elegantchaos (V)
ExcessRope (1B)
FraserInAu (G1)
GEKI (1)
Gman (NP)
GopherKev (V)
HWBadger (V)
jeffgtx (V)
Jeremiah (V)
katadare (A)
Kolok (1B)
Malachite (NP)
MarkbotIIIk (1B)
Mars (1B)
Mirek (NP)
Morg (1B)
MTGirl (NP)
nizlamb (1B)
Omahavice (V)
Palmer (V)
Parrexion (V)
Quizmaster (1B)
randt (A)
ScreamWeaver (A)
smors (1B)
SoccerfanSix (1B)
toolbum (NP)
Tuen (1B)
WestDaddyUtd (V)
Wheels (1B)
xmouser (A)
younggbg (V)

Iron Tier participation is at 36%, which is a bit lower than last season, but is an anomaly for the tournament as a whole, which has 21 more participants than last season.

Divisional Breakdown:
6 -- Bot
5 -- Explorer
5 -- Pod
5 -- Raft
4 -- Corvette
4 -- Fighter
4 -- Viper
3 -- Scout
3 -- Shuttle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bracket:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
The Bracket:

Where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The stage has sort of begun. If you are one of the four players in the byeoff pairings, please let me know when the challenge has been issued and accepted. I'd like to see these non-elimination matches move as quickly as possible.

Half-Bye Playoffs:
elegantchaos v. Daemonsson - (V)
Mirek v. Tuen - (1B)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
The Bracket:

Where?
I have to make it yet; get off my back. Also, thank you for that super generous donation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
kolok wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
The Bracket:

Where?
I have to make it yet; get off my back. Also, thank you for that super generous donation!

I'm not on your back, I'm backing you!
Well, sort of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Silverberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Challenge sent to Daemonsson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. N.
msg tools
mb
OK, if I get this right... the two match ups listed there are to fight for byes that lead to the next stage? Either way, the challenge to Mirek is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuen9 wrote:
OK, if I get this right... the two match ups listed there are to fight for byes that lead to the next stage? Either way, the challenge to Mirek is out.

Yes, the winners of these two matches earn byes direct to Bronze stage. The losers of these two matches will be paired against a different opponent for their actual Iron stage match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. N.
msg tools
mb
Whelp. Mirek over Tuen.

All I had to do was miss one scout out of 7 cards. Ah well, you can only do the best you can to set up a good last draw. GGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cox
United States
Windham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuen9 wrote:
Whelp. Mirek over Tuen.

All I had to do was miss one scout out of 7 cards. Ah well, you can only do the best you can to set up a good last draw. GGs.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Johansson
Australia
Cudal
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elegant_chaos wrote:
Challenge sent to Daemonsson

And accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iron Stage pairings have been posted!

Quizmaster will have to wait for the result of the bye-off match to complete to get an opponent, but thats ok; he is busy enough running this month's Star Realms Cup over at the FB page - which fills up far too fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WestDaddyUtd has just challenged parrexion

(not sure if I have to post that, just like in our division 3d)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion-wise, the (league) rule of playing with less applies, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
[newbie to the League Cup post] is there a link to what the game/expansion codes mean and their hierarchy? I know what my restriction is being an iPad1 user, but not my opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
[newbie to the League Cup post] is there a link to what the game/expansion codes mean and their hierarchy? I know what my restriction is being an iPad1 user, but not my opponent.

Card Pref - the player's preference for playing with expansions:
A - all expansion material
V - no expansion material ("vanilla")
1 - Year 1 Promos only
G - Gambits only
B - Bases & Battleships only
G1, GB, 1B - corresponding combination of above options
NP - no preference

In the BGG league here, the rule of playing with less applies, so whoever specified less expansions in a given matchup the other player must accept that (e.g. if someone has 'V' then they always will play only vanilla as their opps must comply).

If the players have different prefs of the same level (like '1' vs 'B' or 'G1' vs '1B'; pls note that there's no hierarchy among the expansions themselves, the list above is not supposed to be read as one) then the matchup is reduced to the common denominator ('G1' vs '1B' will be played as '1'), if there isn't any (different singular prefs), the game will be reduced to vanilla.

But these are the rules of the BGG SR League. I reckon the rules are the same for the League Cup, to make it sure, however, I just asked this one post above yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing the secret decoder ring, Kolok. As a bit of background, when Bases & Battleships was released, the Megahauler podcast ran a contest for naming the various game styles. League Commissioner, Remy "A.W.Eberman" Gibson, who had already implemented the coding Sándor listed above, won the contest. These codes have become the common vernacular, and are used over in the Facebook tournaments as well.

Regarding which format to use for mis-matched matches, the Cup follows the League guideline as described in detail by Sándor. The below quote is in the first post of each of the stage threads.

Quote:
Once the pairings are posted, matches should be played in a timely manner; 72 hours (3 days) for completion is the general rule of thumb. Each match is a single game, and will be played following the League guideline of using the lowest common expansion preference.

If anyone is interested in my submission to that contest (which also covered the remaining Crisis expansion packs), feel free to geekmail me; I may put it up as a blog post or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyDay wrote:
League Commissioner, Remy "A.W.Eberman" Gibson, who had already implemented the coding Sándor listed above, won the contest.

Hey I did not know that blush

CrankyDay wrote:
If anyone is interested in my submission to that contest (which also covered the remaining Crisis expansion packs), feel free to geekmail me; I may put it up as a blog post or something.

Why not put it here? You have a blog BTW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kolok wrote:
CrankyDay wrote:
League Commissioner, Remy "A.W.Eberman" Gibson, who had already implemented the coding Sándor listed above, won the contest.

Hey I did not know that blush

CrankyDay wrote:

Why not put it here? You have a blog BTW?

1. It's a bit lengthy, as there are 64 unique names for the various combinations.

2. I do not have a blog. Yet. Not sure how to create one, but I could probably figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MTGirl Collector
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanilla challenge sent to Camelorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciago
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1B challenge sent to ExcessRope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wheelock

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheels defeats younggbg. Good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MTGirl wrote:
Vanilla challenge sent to Camelorn.

Challenge accepted, good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.