Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn» Forums » General

Subject: Need drafting advice for newbies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Begley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Hopefully I put this in the correct spot. My daughter and I are starting to play dice masters, I purchased the D&D set with a gravity feed and she got the Avengers Age of Ultron, DC and Uncanny xmen for her birthday and Chrismtas along with gravity feeds for each (I guess nothing like jumping in with both feet (or 4 feet in our case)...

We played a couple of games the last 2 days of D&D and need advice on best way to draft for a couple of newbies. It is overwhelming at first with so many choices and not sure the best way to go so that you don't spend an hour just trying to figure who you want.

How do most people handle this?

We really are enjoying it now that we understand the rules (mostly understand anyway), but need a quicker way to get a game going rather than spend so much time on team selection.

Thanks,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm a noob myself so this may not be the best advice, but I have a few theories:

THEME: This deck is riddled with theme to base a pool on. Start with a base characteristic that uses alignment, race, class, mechanic (ie swarm) or some other character aspect (ie undead) to build off of.

COST/PLAY STYLE: Do you want to come out hot and heavy or have a slow burn pool? Try to balance your pool, allowing you to get some dice out at the get go, but looking toward your mid/end game with some heavy hitters. I usually weigh my pool to the mid-game. Its rare for me to get the big guys out.

Trial and error: At the beginning, each of you should create a deck and stick with it. Make minor adjustments as necessary, focusing on what did or did not work for you during the last game. If one of you had a run away combo, the looser should experiment with ways to counter that run away effect. Incremental adjustments will facilitate your ability to understand the nuances of the particular set you are playing with.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob N
United States
Floral Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, try random teams - deal out 15-20 cards each and use those cards to make a team (imitates drafting). Simply playing with them helps you spot how they work together, and you'll begin to pick out combos that you might not have thought of so that when you do start building teams you'll have a good starting point.

What we did at first was to separate the cards into piles by cost, then shuffle up each pile and deal them out so you're guaranteed a decent selection without getting stuck with all high cost cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the two of you, you have just obtained more than 400 cards + dice! my advice would have been to open the boosters a few at a time, and spread out the learning over a few weeks.

Too late?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Begley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you both. I will try the piles and then the smaller collection to choose from. Just very overwhelming when you have so many choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Begley
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Between the two of you, you have just obtained more than 400 cards + dice! my advice would have been to open the boosters a few at a time, and spread out the learning over a few weeks.

Too late?

Too late for all but the Uncanny Xmen. I purchased it and each week with her allowance she buys a few from me.

She got the DC and AoU feeds for xmas and opened them promptly. For D&D my plan was to go slow but when opening one of my first packs I had a mismatch with one card/die and paniced more would be wrong so opened the rest. Definitely slow would have been better though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.