Subject: Beast Master vs Wizard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lee
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mb
So, I've played Academy against my son 7 times now and no matter what I try, (mana denial, straight creatures or heavy direct damage with spells) I cannot defeat the Beast Master. Not only does he always beat me, he literally pounds me into the ground, much to his glee, with his mana efficient creatures. I'm beginning to think there is no way to beat him. Is the Beast Master just hands down better than the Wizard, or am I just making unwise decisions on what to place in my spell book soblue

Any advise would be welcome...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simat777 wrote:
So, I've played Academy against my son 7 times now and no matter what I try, (mana denial, straight creatures or heavy direct damage with spells) I cannot defeat the Beast Master. Not only does he always beat me, he literally pounds me into the ground, much to his glee, with his mana efficient creatures. I'm beginning to think there is no way to beat him. Is the Beast Master just hands down better than the Wizard, or am I just making unwise decisions on what to place in my spell book soblue

Any advise would be welcome...

Probably just you. After our first 7 matches with recommended starting spell books, the Wizard was 6-1 (and the 1 loss was a close one after the wizard made a couple mistakes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah. our plays were pretty much 50/50 thus far, although I think the wizard is actually even stronger than the beast master.

maybe your son is just good in foreseeing your strategy and denies it early on? maybe you should try to do that? obviously people try to play a certain strategy and set it up in the first couple of rounds. like for instance, a lot of cheap creatures, few expensive ones, a lot of equipment, etc. once you realize your opponents strategy, you can try to spot the weakness and exploit that weakness. few strong creatures can be teleported for instance. or you could utilize the "weak" condition to make them useless. etc.

what I am trying to say is that you need to play a useful combo/strategy yourself and try to hinder your opponent in setting up his strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Torr
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
Play fast, make mistakes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I also have yet to beat my 7-year-old, but I've been the Beastmaster every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
I have played about 6 games now. The Wizard favors a more experienced player due to the number of options available and mana resources associated. The BM is more straightforward with less tricks, but this is all based on what spellbooks you are using.

What are each of your opening 2 plays? Are you playing defensively? What creatures are you using? Do you guard as much as possible? Are you wasting attacks on Tarraki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Seems as if I'm the weak link as I have no real synergy in my spell book. My son just casts his creatures, buffs them if desired, and attacks. Maybe I must do the same; cast my creatures, hope I can weaken as many of his creatures as possible and supplement my creatures with attack spells. I tend to guard with the Cockatrice and I don't bother attacking his Tarraki or the Faerie. I cannot seem to finish off his big creatures like the panther, razortusk and the 15 cost wolf/dog creature (soory don't know their names off-hand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simat777 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Seems as if I'm the weak link as I have no real synergy in my spell book. My son just casts his creatures, buffs them if desired, and attacks. Maybe I must do the same; cast my creatures, hope I can weaken as many of his creatures as possible and supplement my creatures with attack spells. I tend to guard with the Cockatrice and I don't bother attacking his Tarraki or the Faerie. I cannot seem to finish off his big creatures like the panther, razortusk and the 15 cost wolf/dog creature (soory don't know their names off-hand).

you could attack the Tarraki or the Faerie with unavoidable attacks. since they are so weak, they can be finished off rather quickly. you can teleport the stronger creatures or debuff them with nasty enchantments or the "weak" condition. also, you can use ranged attacks or elusive creatures to attack your opponents mage directly, so he does not benefit from guarding creatures at all.

there are many fun ways to annoy your opponent devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.